Chapter 2

"I, Ethan Remington, challenge you, William Davis, for your position as Alpha of the Alamo Pack!"

"I accept your challenge," William shouted back in response. "Stupid pup."

Ethan glared at him but made no response. He was the stupid one, but Ethan wouldn't tell him that. He would die today because he was too arrogant to really think about what he was doing.

"Call your pack to the training grounds and let's get this over with," Ethan growled at him.

"With pleasure." He smiled nastily. "I'll be calling your father later to let him know how his stupid son issued me a challenge."

Because that's a great idea.

Alpha William had ran The Alamo Pack into the ground for the last year, and the members were starving, while William and his Beta, Henry lived like kings. The money was disappearing somewhere and Ethan needed to find out where it was going. The pack had been very prosperous at one point.

Ethan had become their liaison this year, taking over for his own father. Daniel had last been there two years ago and, from his notes, everything had been the way it should be.

But Ethan had showed up for a pack visit a few hours ago and was less than impressed with the state of things. The buildings were falling into disrepair, while the pack members had little hope left.

Levi, the Gamma, had been the one to pick him up from his plane. "Things aren't good here," he'd said, halfway through the drive, looking at Ethan meaningfully.

Ethan had nodded, surveying the place himself. He couldn't agree more. The place was a mess.

Ethan had called his father earlier, not long after he'd arrived, telling him what all was going on. "I read through your notes. I think you'd be appalled at the conditions these people are living in."

"One Alpha gets stupid and screws it up for everyone. Take over. Issue a challenge and take the pack," Daniel had told him. "I'll send Nick and Noelle your way right away."

And so he'd issued the challenge. He knew William was pissed off about it. Who wouldn't be? One of them was going to die today and it definitely wasn't going to be Ethan, though William seemed to think he could take him. Idiot.

"I'll see you out there, pup," William growled at him and left his office.

Ethan watched him go, annoyed. He had a lot of nerve calling him pup. William wasn't that much older than him.

'Lost respect for everyone,' Maverick, his wolf spoke up.

'I'd say,' Ethan agreed.

The door suddenly flew open and the Gamma, Levi, hurried in. "Did you challenge the Alpha?"

Ethan smiled at him. "I did."

"He's been challenged before three times. He's never lost." Levi looked worried. "I know I said it was bad, but I was hoping you could just talk some sense into him or something. Find out where the money is going."

"He's too arrogant for me to talk any sense into him. He's not coming out of this alive, Levi," Ethan reassured him.

"And if he wins? How am I going to explain that to your father?" Levi had a slightly crazed look in his eyes.

Ethan smirked. "My father gave the order for me to challenge him. He's ran this pack into the ground. You and I both know it. Today, he dies."

"Okay." Levi still looked worried. He was the only good leader left in the pack, but as the Gamma and third in rank, his hands were tied. But he was the one who had asked Ethan to come as he'd watched the situation at Alamo get worse and worse. Something had to be done before the poorly ran pack ceased to exist. "I don't know how you're so calm about this."