Chapter 20

But he wasn't.

When she opened her eyes the next morning, her head was still resting on his chest, his arm around her and stroking her back. It seemed like neither one of them had moved.

Her gaze darted up and she saw that he was reading her book again. He was almost finished with it. She wondered how long he'd been awake and just laying there with her reading.

She glanced up at the page he was on. He was holding it at an angle where she could easily see it without moving her head.

His cock was buried deep inside her as she reached her peak, and he buried his canines in her neck, forever claiming her as his.

She could feel her face turning bright red as he removed his hand from her back and reached up to turn the page. His hand then went back to gently rubbing her back, in a soothing motion.

This had to be the oddest situation she'd ever been in. Laying here with a man she barely knew, while he read her smutt filled romance novel about werewolves of all things. He seemed perfectly relaxed too, like this was completely normal. Like they were a couple who were enjoying an early morning together.

He flipped the page again and she suddenly started to laugh. She couldn't help herself.

"Well laughter is better than tears," he said quietly. "But I do need to finish this chapter."

She chuckled at that, but let him continue to read until he finally set the book down. "Did you finish the book?"

"No, but that's okay. I will later," he said.

She looked up at him, taking him in. Was he even more gorgeous in the morning? Relaxed, his hair a bit messy. She'd slept with him, she realized. She didn't even know his last name. "Why?"

"Why what? Why am I reading your book?" he asked curiously, looking down at her.

"Why did you come? Not that I don't appreciate it because I do, but you don't even know me really, and yet you showed up when I was breaking and stayed with me all night. You didn't have to do that." She took a small breath.

"You needed me," he said simply.

"Did Nick call you?" Did Max know Ethan?

"Yes. He told me what had happened and asked me to come," he said. He was still stroking her back. It was soothing.

"You don't really even know me. I screwed up coffee," she murmured. Why had Nick asked him to come? She had so many questions, the more she thought about it.

"You had a good reason." He was still so calm about all of this, like he provided comfort to hurting women every day. Or night. She hoped not.

"I had a terrible reason."

"It wasn't exactly within your control," he said.

He wasn't wrong about that. "I don't even know your last name." Knowing that would at least be a start.

"Remington."

Ethan Remington. She liked it. It flowed nicely.

"I don't know your last name either," he said.

"Whitlock."

"Mila Whitlock. Do you have a middle name?"

"Ann. With no e."

"Mila Ann Whitlock. I like it," he said softly.

She smiled. It was basically the same thing she'd been thinking. But still.. why had he come? "This still doesn't make any sense to me."