Chapter 54

Ethan. I love you.

Ethan's eyes snapped open and then closed again. He opened them again a bit slower, letting them adjust to the incoming sunlight. He blinked a few times, then looked around the room. Where was he?

He looked around the small bedroom. It was mostly full of medical equipment. Medical equipment that he was hooked up to. He took inventory of himself. Besides a cannula, there was an IV, heart monitor, and he was fairly certain a catheter, which didn't make him happy at all. Knowing someone had been touching his dick while he was out didn't thrill him. The only one allowed to touch him there was Mila.

Mila. Was she here?

He wanted to get up, but didn't think it was a good idea. He was hooked up to way too many things. The thought of yanking the catheter out was almost enough to make him nauseous. He'd wait and let a professional do it. 'Maverick?'

'Yeah?'

'Where are we?'

'No idea. Somewhere in the desert,' Maverick responded.

'What happened?'

'Someone tried to kill us. We were disconnected for a long time, and then there was lots of healing to do. It was rather exhausting,' Maverick said.

'So in other words, if we weren't immortal, we'd be dead.'

'Very dead.'

That was a sobering thought and one he didn't really want to dwell on. He sighed. He could tell Maverick was still tired, and guessed they probably hadn't been there too long.

He closed his eyes, letting himself rest and his mind drift. Maverick had dozed back off, which made him sleepy. He wondered where Mila was. Hopefully okay.

He tried to remember how he'd gotten there, but he couldn't. He couldn't remember much of anything beyond, what? Mila. He'd been in the bathtub with her. Touching her. He realized he was starting to get hard and stopped his thoughts. Probably not a good idea. Especially with a tube in his dick. He sighed in exasperation.

"Oh good, you're awake!"

His eyes snapped back open. A woman was standing near the bed. She had dark curly hair, and brown eyes. She was older and analyzing him carefully.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine," he murmured. "Thirsty."

She immediately stepped forward and poured him some water into a cup and handed it to him.

He downed it in one gulp. "More please?"

She nodded and poured more, then handed it to him.

"Thank you," he said when he finished.

"So, would you like to tell me what you are?" she asked bluntly.

Ethan's eyebrows shot up at her question.

"I've been a doctor for a very long time. The fact that you survived everything that happened to you is amazing in itself. But then, once I got your blood cleaned of all the impurities, you healed up very quickly. So I took some of your blood and looked at it, and your DNA is not normal. So, after all I've done, I feel I deserve to know what the heck you are." She crossed her arms over her chest.

Ethan stared at her. "And if I don't tell you?"

She smiled and shook her head. "I have my guesses, based off of what was in your system."

"And what might that be?" he asked, though he had a vague idea already.

"Silver and Wolfsbane, among some other run of the mill drugs. You were also cuffed with silver, though your skin beneath those cuffs was about the only place on you not burned, so I'm not so sure on my theory that you're a werewolf," she muttered.