Chapter 44

Riley watched him go, then watched Ethan and Isaac approach the counter. They both looked annoyed.

"What's wrong?" Mila asked. It was a bit comical to see them both with the exact same expression on their face.

They exchanged glances and Isaac shrugged.

"Not necessarily anything," Ethan said. "But that guy was a rogue."

"Are you going to kill him?" Riley asked.

Ethan rolled his eyes at her. "You've been reading too many romance novels, Riley."

"What kind of romance novels are you reading?" Isaac asked her, giving her a smirk.

She blushed. "Um.."

"Werewolf Romance," Mila supplied. "She got me hooked on them."

Isaac's eyebrows shot up, and Ethan snickered in amusement.

"You should read some of them," Ethan told him. "I enjoyed the one I read."

"You read my books?" Riley asked, her face getting redder.

He smirked at her. "I think The Alpha's Mate was my favorite."

Riley blushed even more and Mila laughed. "He read that one the night we stayed at your house."

"No, we don't go around murdering rogues, just because they're a rogue," Ethan said. "But yes, we're going to be a bit suspicious, just because we don't know the guy. Have you ever seen him before?"

Both girls shook their heads.

"But he knows you two are involved with us," Isaac said.

"How does he know that?" Mila asked.

"He can smell us on you both," Isaac said, and looked pointedly at Mila.

She blushed, realizing what he was telling her. Ethan's scent was all over her, especially after they'd had sex twice in less than twenty-four hours. She was guessing Isaac was aware of it too. Her gaze darted to Ethan, who seemed lost in thought, his arms crossed over his chest.

Riley seemed to miss the point. "Does he know who you two are?"

"Doubt it," Ethan remarked. "He might, but only if he's ever seen us. It's not like our photos are plastered out there everywhere."

"I thought werewolves could identify each other by rank?" Riley asked. "Or at least that's what Max said."

"We can, but us Royals generally keep that masked. It's just easier. All he got from us is that we're werewolves. No pack scent, no rank, definitely no aura, nothing like that." Ethan's gaze met Mila's.

She could see his concern, and saw him clench his jaw. She felt like she still had a million things to learn about his world. "Riley agreed to go shopping with us tomorrow."

"Good," he said.

The rest of the day passed without incident, the four of them enjoying chatting together. Isaac ordered food for lunch for them all and the day went by quickly.

Mila climbed in the car at the end of her shift, and watched Ethan climb in behind the wheel. He pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.

"What do you think that guy meant with his warnings?" she asked after a bit. The subject hadn't come up again.

"He was warning you two about Isaac and I," he said, pulling into a parking space. He put the car into park and walked around to open her door.

"Why?" Mila got out of the car and headed inside, Ethan right behind her.