Chapter 13

Dayu’s present crown prince was the Emperor’s eldest son. It has been three years since he has become the master of the Eastern Palace. His biological mother was Chen Guifei, who has dominated the six palaces for many years and whose position was tantamount to being the second empress. This time, on her fortieth birthday, all the noble ladies would go to the palace to offer her their well wishes and present to her their gifts. 

The manager of the mansion’s storehouse sent a list and said, “All the things in the mansion are listed here. As Madam has instructed, asking Shaojun to please select a suitable birthday gift.”

Lin Qingyu gave it a cursory glance and asked, “The booklet the Madam gave me said that the Eastern Palace had rewarded Master Hou with a pair of sheep-fat white jade Ruyi. Why is it not in the storehouse?”

The manager said, “Answering Shaojun, this pair of Jade Ruyi was sent by the Madam to the War Minister’s mansion to congratulate his son on his wedding.”

Lin Qingyu asked again, “And where is the thousand-year ginseng given by Chen Guifei?” 

The manager smiled and said, “Naturally, it was used to help the Young Master.”

Lin Qingyu nodded. “I see. You can leave now. Before Madam enters the palace tomorrow, I will have a gift prepared for her.”

Liang Shi’s only requirement for the gift was that it be of equal value. The Nan’an Hou Mansion can neither be lacking in respect to Chen Guifei but neither could they be seen as trying to ingratiate themselves to her. Especially since the Nan’an Hou Mansion and the Empress even had a relationship by marriage. Things were becoming more and more delicate.

The Empress actually had a son who was born mentally challenged. He was unable to inherit the throne and was also unable to obtain the Emperor’s favor. All this time, he has been kept in the temporary imperial residence.  The Empress has always been anxious about her son and naturally, she held a grudge against this mother and son pair. Although the Empress was far less favored than Chen Guifei, she was still the mother of the country. While giving a gift to Chen Guifei, the Nan’an Hou Mansion still had to keep in mind the honor of the palace. The various twists and turns defied simple explanation.

Lin Qingyu first selected a batch of gifts from the list, and ordered the servants to move them into the Blue Wind Pavilion to let him go through them and choose.

Lu Wancheng saw that the room was filled with gift boxes of all sizes and asked, “What are these?”

Lin Qingyu said, “Chen Guifei’s birthday gift candidates.”

“Chen Guifei?” Lu Wancheng had a rare frown on his face, “The crown prince’s concubine mother?” 

“That’s her.”

Lu Wancheng’s face changed slightly, “When did you get involved with the Eastern Palace?”

Lin Qingyu told Lu Wancheng about Liang Shi asking him to prepare the gift. Lu Wancheng still seemed uneasy, and asked, “So you won’t be going to the palace or seeing the crown prince?”

“No.” Lin Qingyu said suspiciously, “You don’t ever care about other things but how come whenever the Eastern Palace is mentioned, you have such a big reaction?” 

Lu Wancheng hesitated for a moment, and smiled, “That’s the current crown prince, the future emperor. Is he not worth me making a senseless fuss over?”

Lin Qingyu said, “The Empress is your aunt and the prince’s dimu. Looking at it from that point of view, the crown prince is still your cousin.”

Lu Wancheng snorted. “I do not wish to have this greasiest of the greasiest as my cousin.”