Chapter 81

Chen Guifei was banished and the crown prince was beaten severely by the emperor. It could be said that the entire court in such a strained state that it would jump at the sighing of the wind or the call of a crane. After Lin Qingyu achieved his goal, he temporarily pulled back and lay low, not going anywhere save for the palace. On normal days, he would read books at the General’s Mansion, make drugs, and raise Gu.

As early as when he decided to support a new emperor, he began to raise Gu. This was so that when the right time came, he could coerce the Emperor and command the ministers. This Gu was different from the ordinary Southern Border Poisonous Gu. It needed to be able to escape the detection of other imperial physicians. The imperial physicians in the Imperial Hospital each had their merits, escaping their scrunity would not be an easy task. Lin Qingyu tried several times and the Gu diead batch after batch. But finally, he bore some results this spring.

It was a Southern Border female scorpion, only about the size of a little finger but it had passed five passes and slayed six captains, rising above all the other mixed-breed Gu. She will quietly burrow into the human body to lay eggs while the person is sleeping. And it will be these Gu eggs that would be the planted Gu.

Lin Qingyu threw himself into raising the Gu. The first thing he did when he woke up was to check the Gu’s condition, leaving him with no time to send Gu Fuzhou to court. When Gu Fuzhou returned to the mansion, there was no beautiful wife to greet him. He went looking to the study and saw Lin Qingyu holding a small and dainty pair of tweezers, feeding bit by bit the little Gu with specially made minced meat. Gentle, patient, and attentive; completely oblivious to his husband’s return.

Gu Fuzhou felt a little like laughing. The last time he was hand fed by Lin Qingyu was back when he was Lu Wancheng. He hadn’t enjoyed this sort of benefit for such a long time but this little Gu suddenly had a great beauty feeding her.

He coughed lightly to announce his presence. Lin Qingyu didn’t even lift his head, continuing with his task, “You’re back.”

Gu Fuzhou pulled carelessly, untying the clasp on the collar of the official uniform. He sat down beside Lin Qingyu. Lin Qingyu was facing the table, while he was leaning against it. Tilting his head to look at Lin Qingyu, he said, “I’m hungry.”

Lin Qingyu said, “Go to the cook if you’re hungry. I can’t cook.”

Gu Fuzhou choked. He turned around and placed his chin on Lin Qingyu’s shoulder. “I want to eat with you.”

“I’m very busy.” With Gu Fuzhou’s added weight, Lin Qingyu found it difficult to control his right hand and feeding the little Gu was a delicate job. Gu Fuzhou was in the way, so Lin Qingyu shoo-ed him away, “Eat by yourself first. Don’t get in the way of my work here.”

Gu Fuzhou looked at the ugly little bug that was eating happily in the jar and couldn’t help but feel sad. “If I get the chance to be reborn once again, I’ll just transfer straight into this thing. All it does is eat and sleep all day and when it eats, its even got a great beauty to feed it. Now, look at me, I discuss government affairs, lift weights. I wake up early every day and sleep late at night. I’m dog-tired. But the life of a pampered Gu, now, that’s the life.”

Lin Qingyu finally looked straight at him and said, displeased, “Don’t say such foolish nonsense. You’re not going to be reborn again.”

To be reborn, one must die first. Gu Fuzhou realized that he had said the wrong thing and accidentally touched the matter Lin Qinyu was concerned about the most. He immediately changed the topic, “By the way, Qingyu, I have already ordered for that former palace maid named Wu Ya to be housed in a courtyard out in the open. I also have some of my most trusted guards watching over it secretly. Now, we wait and see when Xiao Cheng comes sniffing to her door.”