Chapter 56

Lin Qingyu returned to his residence. He told Hua Lu and Huan Tong that there would be a guest coming tonight. Since the establishment of this residence, no guest has been to it. Huan Tong guessed that the guest would be Hu Ji and Hua Lu said it would be a relative of the Lin Family.

“Neither.” Lin Qingyu said, “It is my adopted brother, General Gu.”

Huan Tong was overjoyed to hear it and Hua Lu’s face flushed with excitement. In the Dayu, Gu Fuzhou was a god of war, known by all. Many of the men and women their age worshipped Gu Fuzhou. There was no need for Lin Qingyu to say more. The two of them happily got busy, preparing the wine, tea and snacks for the guest.

Lin Qingyu remembered something, and asked Huan Tong, “Is the thing I asked you to order ready?”

“Yes, it’s already in the study.”

After Lu Wancheng’s death, he was still able to enjoy the lighting of incense from the Lu Family’s ancestral hall. However, the famous and honored General Gu had gone without anyone knowing that he had already laid down his life for the country, unable to enjoy the worship of later generations. Since Gu Fuzhou claimed to have gotten the chance to be reborn from saving the life of a pregnant woman, then General Gu, a good soldier who had saved countless lives, must have also gone to be reborn in another world. Regardless, Lin Qingyu still asked Huan Tong to order a blank stone tablet to be enshrine in the dark room behind the study.

It was getting late. Though it was already after dinner time, Gu Fuzhou had yet to be seen. Huan Tong who’d been keeping watch at the door was looking around expectantly. In the end, it was Yuan Yin that he led inside. Yuan Yin told Lin Qingyu that Wu Guogong suddenly visited the general’s mansion with a couple jugs of good wine, wanting to drink and reminisce with the general. Wu Guogong was an elder and he has expended a lot of effort regarding this matter with the Tianji Camp. The general could not refuse and said he would be late in coming over.

“The general also said that if it is getting too late, Imperial Physician Lin should not wait for him and go to bed first.”

Lin Qingyu thanked Yuan Yin and went to the study after dinner. Although Gu Fuzhou told him not to wait, how could he fall asleep knowing that Gu Fuzhou would come?

It wasn’t until late in the night, nearing the end of haishi that Lin Qingyu suddenly heard a whistle and knew that a certain someone had arrived. It stood to reason that if Gu Fuzhou had arrived, Huan Tong would announce his arrival. He had no idea what the hell that man was up to.

Lin Qingyu walked out of the study, and saw a black figure jump over the wall. Moving like drifting clouds and flowing water, he landed steadily on the ground. Gu Fuzhou clapped his hands and said, “Good evening, Qingyu.”

Lin Qingyu was expressionless. “Why did you have to climb over the wall? It’s not as though I didn’t leave the door unlocked for you.”

“What’s so interesting about walking right through the front door when you’re visiting a widow’s house? Since we’re pursuing excitement, then we’ve got to follow it through to the end.”

“…Who said we’re pursuing excitement?”

Gu Fuzhou asked knowingly, “It’s not for the pursuit of excitement, why would Imperial Physician Lin be inviting this general to visit his residence in the middle of the night?”

Thinking of how pitiful this person’s last life had been, Lin Qingyu took a deep breath and tried his best to restrain his temper. He said patiently, “It’s inconvenient to talk in the palace during the day — come here.”

Lin Qingyu’s house was more than a little bit smaller than the Nan’an Hou’s Mansion and the General’s Mansion. Gu Fuzhou looked around and said, “I’ve given you so much property, you could have bought a mansion as big as the Nan’an Hou’s.”