Chapter 55

When the emperor was seriously ill, the Ministry of Rites was already preparing for his funeral. Unexpectedly, Chu Zhengde changed his prescription and after drinking it, even before two days had passed, his condition improved and the emperor woke up.

The current emperor was without fault but also without merit. He has been on the throne for more than 20 years but had yet to make any great achievements but neither has he dissipated the family fortune.  He, in his mediocre manner, guarded the country left by his ancestors. Although he was the suspicious sort, he was diligent in state affairs. As soon as he woke up, he summoned the Crown Prince to ask him about the situation of the court while he had been ill.

There weren’t any matter worth noting, only Gu Fuzhou’s matter was quite troublesome. Before the Emperor even woke up, Xiao Cheng had already been pressured into withdrawing the Tianji Camp guards beside Gu Fuzhou. However, the military officers still refused to stop. After learning that the Emperor had awoken, one after another, they filed petitions asking for an audience.

Lying on the dragon bed, the emperor flung Wu Guogong’s memorial at Xiao Cheng’s feet. “Look at what you have done!”

“I fail to see what I’ve done wrong.” Xiao Cheng looked ahead and said stubbornly, “There is plenty about Gu Fuzhou to be suspicious about. If we are unable to find out the truth, how could we possibly let him roam free in the capital? Father, could it be that you really trust him?”

The emperor said angrily, “You still don’t know what you’ve done wrong!”

Xiao Cheng knelt down and said, “I ask my Imperial father to make clear to me my fault.”

The emperor shook his head. “You, sigh, you are still too young.”

When it came to being suspicious, the emperor wasn’t any better than Xiao Cheng. But in any case, having sat on the throne for so long, he was well versed in the art of checks and balances. In everything, one must but the general interest first. That Gu Fuzhou was suspicious was true. But they were a long time away  from having a falling out with Gu Fuzhou. Although Gu Fuzhou was physically in the capital, he remained the heart of the army officers and the three hundred thousand strong army in Yong Liang. Apart from him, the Dayu could never find another god of war who was victorious in every battle.

The Dayu and Xixia have been at war so many years, almost emptying the country’s coffers, countless soldiers have died in battle. In the face of hostilities in the northwest, all others had to be set aside. Even if Gu Fuzhou was dubious and arrogant, so long as he can win battles, it wasn’t time to move against him. After matters in the northwest was settled, it would then be time to settle accounts with him, turning over old accounts one by one. Was there any fear of him not being convicted?

The emperor saw through people clearly. He knew that Xiao Cheng’s methods were tough, unwilling to admit defeat, haughty and arrogant. When he ascends the throne in the future, he would never take the road of a wise monarch convincing people with virtue and readily accepting good advice. Even if he could rule the world strictly, once he loses the heart of the generals, even if there were thousands of troops, what would be the use?

The emperor’s illness has already left him mentally and physically exhausted. After scolding Xiao Cheng a bit, he couldn’t get his spirits up again. He called out, ” Cheng'er.”

Xiao Cheng’s eyes narrowed. He couldn’t remember the last time the emperor called him that.

“Carefully ponder the hearts of the people.” The emperor said, “Other peoples’, as well as your own.”

The human heart was nothing but the most useless thing in the world. Xiao Cheng lowered his head and sneered silently, “Thank you, imperial father, for your guidance.”