Chapter 37

Lu Qiaosong died suddenly from a medicine overdose.

It happened too suddenly. At noon, Lu Qiaosong was still in high spirits, with matchless energy, feeling as though he could lift up a mountain. In the evening, blood came gushing from all seven apertures of his head; he lost control over his bladder and rectum. He died in Qingdai Pavilion.

Liang Shi couldn’t take such a blow. Upon hearing the news, she lost consciousness. Nan’an Hou only went to Qingdai Pavilion to take a look, after which he then stumbled to the Lu Family’s ancestral hall. In the end, Lu Qiaosong’s funeral was actually handled by Pan Shi.

Pan Shi had already been preparing for a funeral but she had been preparing it for Lu Wancheng. No one could have imagined that Lu Qiaosong would actually walk in front of Lu Wancheng and that it would be such a tragic way to die too. Naturally, she couldn’t use the things she’d prepared for Lu Wancheng so Pan Shi had to have people purchase the supplies at the last minute. They had to make do with what was available for a lot of the things.

There were mourning flags hung in the Nan’anhou Mansion. Paper money wafted in the wind. Lu Qiaosong’s coffin was placed in the main hall. Liang Shi, dressed in plain white mourning clothes, knelt down in front of the coffin. Her eyes though, were empty; her expression, numb. Her tears seemed to have dried up.

Although Lu Qiaosong died disgracefully, he was, after all, the son of the official wife. During his life, he had created a wide network of contacts; he had everything going his way. A lot of people came to offer their condolences. Among them was an unfamiliar man who claimed to be a eunuch of the Eastern Palace, who came to kowtow to the Third Young Master in place of the side concubine.

Finally, Liang Shi’s face showed some reaction. She asked in a hoarse voice, “The side concubine… Is she, is she doing well?”

The man showed signs of hesitation. Under repeated questioning from Liang Shi, he told her that Lu Niantao had been confined in the cold palace by the crown prince.

Liang Shi was stunned for a long time. Her eyes fell on Lin Qingyu and she suddenly shrieked, her whole body quivering all over. She pointed at Lin Qingyu’s face and said hysterically, “Evil monster…the Nan’an Hou’s Mansion married a monster into the family!”

Lin Qingyu said indifferently, “Madam must be joking. At the beginning, wasn’t it you who said that I’m the Mansion’s lucky star?”

Liang Shi’s eyes widened. As if someone was strangling her throat, she kept spouting weird nonsensical words.

Liang Shi went completely insane. The doctor said that she was suffering from hysteria and that she will probably never be able to recover. Nan’an Hou suffered one blow after another. He was exhausted both mentally and physically; he took to his bed and remained there. He no longer had the energy to look after the family’s affairs so he simply let the servants look after his wife, warning them against letting her run out and making a spectacle of herself. All other things were left to Pan Shi to take care of.

Lu Wancheng’s body improved a little during Lu Qiaosong’s funeral. However, it meant only that he was awake a little more and that he was able to speak for a while.

After learning of Lu Qiaosong’s sudden death, Liang Shi’s insanity and Nan’an Hou’s bedridden condition, Lu Wancheng wasn’t the least bit surprised. Instead, he looked at Lin Qingyu in admiration and said, “Qingyu, you seem to have become even more good-looking.”

Pa kjr ilxf j ibcu-vbgwjca tlutis-qblrbcber oibkfg olcjiis yibbwlcu, oglutafclcuis yfjealoei. Qlat pera bcf ibbx, la rfca j qfgrbc’r rbei jralg.

Olc Hlcuse ibbxfv vbkc ja tlr mifjc jcv oijkifrr tjcvr, klat j yla bo jmmerjalbc lc tlr abcf: “Tbe wjvf wf ilxf atlr.”