Chapter 63

After Lin Rushan was reinstated, serving by the emperor’s side was handed over to him. Lin Qingyu finally didn’t have to look at the emperor’s face, so similar to Xiao Cheng’s, every day. Father Lin’s medical skills were superior to Lin Qingyu’s. With his wonderful hands, the emperor’s condition got better day by day. Although he had yet to recover, the frequency of his headaches had decreased and as long as he didn’t get sick, he could go about like most ordinary people.

In the Eastern Palace, Xiao Cheng’s injury seemed to be getting better. However, that sword wound damaged his very core and no amount of recuperating would return him to his past condition. The day-to-day consumption of medicines made his already not-so-good temperament even more violent and volatile.

The Tianji Camp had long lost any clue of Shen Huaishi’s whereabouts and Xiao Cheng couldn’t bring himself to care about anything else. The Emperor, in consideration for him having met such a devastating setback, was indulgent of his various disagreeable behaviors. However, he still sent Xue Ying to, through innuendo, deliver reminders to the crown prince. It had very little effect.

How could someone as arrogant and conceited as Xiao Cheng endure being turned into a medicine jar? What made him even more resentful was that it was Shen Huaishi, who had grown up with him, who made him like this.

How much had he schemed, how many people had he killed, to get to where he was today? Only to fall to a shadow guard. How could he possibly be reconciled? He would never give up until he brings Shen Huaishi back for him to slaughter.

In the emperor’s sleeping chamber, Lin Rushan had just finished performing acupuncture for the emperor. The emperor’s body was relieved, but his heart was discontent. Although Lin Qingyu and Lin Rushan were father and son, their appearances were not very similar. Lin Rushan was just an average handsome man but Lin Qingyu’s radiance and beauty was a true rarity. If it weren’t for the inauspiciousness of a male wife, he would not have replaced him.

When Lin Rushan was about to withdraw, the emperor asked casually, “What has Lin Qingyu been doing recently?”

Lin Rushan’s face changed slightly and he said, “My son has been in the Imperial Hospital for the past few days, dispensing medicine for His Majesty.”

The emperor hesitated, thoughts of inauspiciousness weighed on his heart. He waved his hand. “Forget it. You may withdraw.”

Lin Rushan returned to his residence with his worries on mind. Then, he saw a majestic Ferghana horse standing by the entrance of the Lin Residence. He recognized this horse. This was Gu Fuzhou’s steed, only that it was a lot fatter than it was in the past. He hurriedly entered the residence and asked the housekeeper, “Did General Gu come visit?”

The housekeeper, a strange expression on his face, said, “Ye-yes, the General is inside, drinking tea with the Madam and the Eldest Young Master.”

Lin Rushan said, “Qingyu has returned as well?” Perfect timing; he wanted to remind him to be careful of the emperor.

When he reached the courtyard, Lin Rushan realized that it wasn’t only the two of them who had come. There were a lot of new faces in the yard; all of them must be from the General’s Mansion. Yuan Yin of the General’s Mansion was instructing them to bring in mahogany boxes one after the other. The mahogany boxes were tied with festive red silk, like they would be if they were being used to propose marriage. The point was, the Lin Residence has no daughters.

Lin Rushan walked into the main hall, mind full of doubts, only to see that his wife’s face was even more complicated than that of the housekeeper’s. Seeing him come back, Mother Lin, as though having been relieved of a great burden, seemed to locate her backbone. “Master.”