Chapter 73

On the second day, when Lin Qingyu went to the palace to examine the Emperor’s pulse, the Empress and Concubine Chen happened to also be there. The Empress was in charge of the harem and Concubine Chen assisted her. The three were discussing the arrangments for the New Year’s celebration in the palace.

The Empress and Concubine Chen were both beautiful women in their youth. Now that they were getting on in the years, the Empress looked graceful and dignified, with a temperament befitting the mother of the nation; Concubine Chen was careful to maintain her looked and she has been favored for many years. She was like a peony in full bloom, looking barely over thirty. Aunmqy

Lin Qingyu knelt down and saluted the three, “Paying my respects to the Emperor, the Empress, Concubine Chen.”

The Emperor was vexed by the two women on either side. Seeing Lin Qingyu, he felt even more so that his wife and concubine were making senseless fuss. Lin Qingyu, without any official position, was wearing a crescent white uniform. His simple, unadorned style seized everyone’s attention.

Please visit chrysanthemumgarden (dot) com

When the Empress saw him, her face turned cold. Concubine Chen though was rather polite to him. “The Emperor’s headaches have improved a lot recently. This is thanks to Doctor Lin’s hard work.”

Lin Qingyu said, “It is the good fortune of this student to share the burdens of His Majesty.” YO2ZeA

“I heard it was Doctor Lin who found the cure for the epidemic that was ravaging the south last year.” Concubine Chen pulled the emperor’s arm, “Your Majesty, this concubine wishes to borrow Doctor Lin’s services.”

The emperor asked absent-mindedly, “Where does Aifei feel unwell?”

“Not I but the Crown Prince.” Concubine Chen’s brows were knitted together, her eyes brimming with motherly love. “Ever since the Crown Prince met… met with that serious illness, his health has never recovered to how it was before, no matter how much medicine he takes. When all is said and done, they’re all incompetent doctors of the Imperial Hospital. They were unable to cure the Emperor’s headaches and they’ve also failed to restore the Crown Prince’s health.”

The emperor’s expression was indifferent. “As they say, mental worries cannot be cured by medicine. Otherwise, the Crown Prince wouldn’t handle so carelessly the duties Zhen has assigned to him.”

X4hl1T

Concubine Chen’s expression changed slightly and her fingers tightened. She forced on a smile. “I am sure the Crown Prince must be doing his best to do his duties properly. It may be that he is a bit unable to do as much as he would wish.”

Lin Qingyu quietly glanced at the Empress. The Empress concealed her expressions well; neither joy nor anger could be seen.

“Forget it.” The Emperor stretched out his wrist and said to Lin Qingyu, “Later, go the Eastern Palace and examine the Crown Prince.”

Lin Qingyu replied, “Yes.” DQbtaX

The Empress hesitated for a moment and said, “The list of attendees for the New Year’s Eve family banquet has been drawn up. I ask His Majesty to please take a look.”

There was no need for the Emperor to weigh in on this. “No need. I have every confidence in the Empress’ arrangements.”

“Your Majesty, it may be best to take a look still.” Concubine Chen raised the corners of her lips, “The Empress has reserved a place for the Sixth Prince this time.”

The emperor said, displeased, “Is this true?” uxPYBr

The empress knelt down quickly, no longer as calm and composed as before. “New Year’s Eve is a time for family to come together. Li’er is the Emperor and mine’s flesh and blood, the brother of the princes and princesses…”