Chapter 90

Half a month later, Gu Fuzhou led the reinforcements to the Northwest. Lin Qingyu was once again half a country away from him. His only consolation was that this time they could at least write to each other, a privilege bestowed upon them by His Majesty.

Every report sent to the capital from the Northwest would have with it a letter from General Gu to his wife; both letters though were sent directly Lin Qingyu’s desk.

Although the report and the personal letter were written by the same person, their styles were quite different. The report was concise and to the point, the wording was appropriate, speaking only of military affairs. During this period, under the leadership of the demon commander, the Xixia army was an irresistible force. After occupying Yongliang, they captured several more strategic towns in the Northwest. After Gu Fuzhou led the reinforcements from the capital, in any case, he stabilized the troops’ morale and elevated their fighting spirit.

Under the fierce offensive of the Xixia Army, the Dayu’s army established a last line of defense at Guizhou City. They were to defend this position to the death. Once Guizhou City falls, the Dayu’s gates would be thrown wide open in the Northwest. If that happens, Xixia would be free to claim the Jiangnan Flatlands as it withdraws or charge directly to the capital as they proceed.

When all was said and done, Gu Fuzhou was a man who had climbed atop a city gate and directed its defense while covered in his quilt. He was a man who knew something of defending a city. The Northwest Army and the reinforcements worked together as one and they halted the Xixia Army’s advance, stopping them outside Guizhou City.

These were written simply in the report. Only the results were stated; the process and details were all left out. However, just by looking at the number of casualties, one could tell how difficult a feat this was. On the other hand, Gu Fuzhou’s letter home was written thus:

“Qingyu, you won’t believe me but since I came to the Northwest, I haven’t slept a single wink. Do you now see my determination to triumph?

After an evening meeting with the generals, I walked out of the tent and saw the stars overhead. The stars in the Northwest are so very bright. I suddenly wished you were by my side.

That demon commander is quite impressive. I don’t think I’m a match for him. But Wu Youyuan appears very confident. He can talk nonstop about tactics for hours on end — I tried following his words and afterwards I started losing hair in clumps.

Qingyu, counting the last time I was in the Northwest, I’ve won six battles in a row. I have a hunch that it’s coming. My first defeat is coming soon. Help.”

For some reason, seeing Gu Fuzhou complaining about the Xixia’s demon commander’s superb military skills, about how he wasn’t his match, Lin Qingyu did not feel particularly worried. This was merely Gu Fuzhou’s lips making mischief. Though he obviously hadn’t written anything good, it somehow inspired confidence in Gu Fuzhou. This man was always like this; handling everything to the utmost amidst his unenthusiastic reluctance.

The peace of mind that Gu Fuzhou gave him had never been one through words. This time…will probably be the same.

No, it must be the same.

Lin Qingyu invited in the New Year in a very simple manner. Yuan Yin, as in previous years, hung red silk lanterns in the General’s Mansion, pasting paper cuttings on the windows. He also had the kitchen prepare a sumptuous New Year’s Eve dinner. But Lin Qingyu cared nothing for these and he returned to his room to rest after just a couple of bites.

Inside the room was the big bed that Gu Fuzhou had meticulously selected. In order to cause the least amount of inconvenience, Gu Fuzhou had specially asked the carpenter to create a matching wooden table. Every night, a tea set would be place atop the table so that if one were to wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, simply leaning over would bring you within reach of something to drink.