47. VIHANG

"My mother died the day she abandoned her four year daughter and her family" Panchi said. Her voice was breaking but she tried her best not to cry. I, along with everyone was shocked. Until a few minutes ago, we all thought that Panchi's mother died when she was young, because that what she told everyone.

"Panchi beta" her mother said, with what felt like regret, guilt and disappointment filled in her voice. Panchi refused to even look in her direction. I felt the sudden need to be with her so I took a step towards her but Vartika held my hand to stop me. "It's her battle Vihu, she has to fight it on her own" Vartika whispered.

I understood what she said but anyways I stood closer to Panchi. "Please leave, just like you did before, and this time don't bother coming back" Panchi said, putting on her bravest face. I felt a little disappointed with Panchi. No matter how bad her mother treated her, she had no right to declare her dead. That feeling of actually seeing your mother die, kills you inside.

"This is how you speak to your mother" the woman said. Panchi chuckled. "Mother" she said, sarcasm evident in her voice. She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Ok mother" she said emphasizing on the last word.

"Tell me, where were you when, after my twelfth birthday party guard bhaiya came in to eat cake but tried to rape me" she said with a heavy voice. I saw myself shift closer to her. A new feeling of protectiveness took place all over me. After a beat she continued. "Thankfully Manju didi came back to get her phone, she'd forgotten" she said. I wanted to hug Panchi and keep her there forever.

I felt myself closer to her at each word she said. "where were you when I got my first period, or when the kids made fun of me for wearing mismatched socks, or when I had my first heart break" she paused to gather herself. I stood right behind her. My hand rested on her shoulder.

When no one said anything, mostly her mother. She remained silent, looking down, filled with guilt. Panchi continued "Forget everything, why didn't you take me with you, why'd you leave me behind, to face dad's hatred, for your mistakes" she said. Today I saw a different Panchi. An overwhelming urge to just pull her in my arms and kiss her grew more.

"You know Manju didi has seen me grow from a kid to an adult, where were you. Mother" she said. My hand on her shoulder, assuring her that I was here with her. "Oh wait, you must be busy having sex your gym trainer" she added. Now I was standing with her. The woman finally looked up, but all I could find in her eyes was disappointment. I could feel my anger bubbling up.

"Panchi, this is no way to treat your mother" her mother said rather shouted. Before Panchi could say anything, I took a step forward and stood infront of Panchi, covering half of her body. "Ma'am, with all due respect, I think you should leave" I told her in a very calm voice, but anger visible in my eyes.

"Who are you to speak in betw" Panchi came forward and interrupted her. "He, is my family. Infact they all are my family. And you please leave now, or I'll have to call security" Panchi said. Atta girl. Proud spread over my chest as she stood all brave and composed.

"I'm your family, and you are kicking me out for them" the lady spoke again. This time I looked her dead in the eyes and asked her to leave. After she left, I closed the door and called the security from the landline, instructing them to keep that woman away from the building, especially from this apartment.

"Sid, Abheer you both go home and pick up the food maa made" I told Sid as he nodded and they disappeared behind the main door. Vartika took Panchi, who was still shook from the aftermath of the incident. I went to the table where Panchi and Vartika were sitting. I poured some water in a glass and gave it to Panchi.

She drank the whole water in a single sip. Only after she looked better, something took over me and I snapped. "How can you say your mother is dead when she was alive? You have no idea how it feels to actually see your moth-" I stopped before finishing my sentence. I didn't want to say something I'd regret later. I saw Panchi's eyes well up so I left the room and went in the balcony for some fresh air.