38. VIHANG

"I'd love to be your delivery man though" I said eating the apple I grabbed. Being so close to Panchi I resisted my urge to kiss her. Her heart was racing. I could feel her minty breath. The way she parted her lips thinking I'll kiss her made me almost lose my control, but somehow I reminded myself that her dad was right there in the other room.

  She frowned and took the fruit bags to the kitchen. I chuckled and followed her. Standing behind her I could smell her hair, a mix of strawberry and honey. Before realizing I stepped closer to her. Just as she turned our bodies collided and she lost her balance and closed her eyes. Involuntarily I slipped my hand behind her waist and caught her.

Reading the situation she opened her eyes. Her hair covered her face, cheeks red and her lips parted. Our eyes locked and we stood in the same position for a few seconds. Panchi suddenly blinked to the sound of my phone. "Why do you always fall when I'm around" I asked her straightening myself. She quickly stepped away making a distance.

"Why do you always catch me in time" she asked me narrowing her eyes. In a single step I covered the distance between us. She gasped at my sudden movement. "Because once, I promised you I'd never let you fall. And I don't like breaking my promises" I said looking in her eyes. Before any of us could do or say anything her dad called for her.

I instantly stepped back and Panchi straightened herself taking a deep breath. Her dad came to the kitchen finding her. I greeted him by touching his feet. "Vihang beta when did you come" he asked looking at the both of us alternately. I think he could sense the awkwardness between me and Panchi.

"Just when the delivery man left" I replied to his question looking at Panchi who narrowed her eyes at my response. I winked at her quickly before uncle could see. In a little span of time I developed a friendly bond with her dad. He insisted me to stay for dinner but I had to go home.

"Ok but tomorrow I want you, Sid and his boyfriend, what's his name? Abheer. All three to come for dinner" he said. This reminded me to talk to Panchi about tomorrow. "But tomorrow is Panchi's..." I trailed of when I saw Panchi making a cross from her hands. Clearly she hasn't mentioned anything to her dad about her play.

Uncle got curious and started asking questions. "Holiday dad. Holiday" Panchi somehow handled the situation. I too nodded when uncle looked at me for approval. She sighed and gave me a deadly stare. I mouthed an apology but she didn't budge.

After her dad left, she punched me on the arm. She's pretty strong for her short height. Though it did not affect me but she has the power to injure anyone with a normal built. "What was that for" I asked her rubbing my arm, making it seem like her tiny hands can hurt me.

She told me about cancelling her performance and she arranged for her substitute from the extras so that everything shall go smoothly tomorrow. I tried to talk her out of it but she refused to leave her dad even for a minute. "Alright little sparrow, I'll support whatever you decide" I said resting my case.

"By the way you shouldn't let a delivery man leave without a tip" I said opening the door to leave. Panchi glared at me for a couple of seconds thinking something. I took a few steps and now stood at the entrance facing her.

She gave me a sarcastic smile narrowing her eyes. "Next time when you deliver anything, don't eat from it. People will start giving you bad reviews and you can loose your job too" she said and closed the door at my face without waiting for my reply.