27. PANCHI

I woke up to the sound of doorbell. When I checked my phone it was already 9 am. I got up hurriedly to open the door. When I got out of my room I saw Vihang standing in front of me. "Morning sunshine" he said smiling and looking at me from head to toe. His gaze made me self-aware and I immediately cleaned my drooling mouth and retied my hair into a bun.

"What are you doing here so early" I asked him and noticed he was in his practice clothes. He raised the bag in his hand and took it from him. I was about to speak when Saroj maami came from behind me. She was coming from her room. She wore a sari but her hair were still wet.

"Who is this boy Panchi" she asked me. Vihang touched her feet to take blessing when I told her he my friend from college. I introduced them to each other and asked Vihang if he'll have something. "Thank you but I have to be at practice" he said checking his watch. I insisted but he said he's already late and left after two minutes.

"Why was he here so early in the morning? And don't you have any shame. You came infront of him wearing this" she said pointing towards my shorts. I scowled at her comment. I don't want to make any seen because she's a guest but her remarks infuriated me. But I also don't want to encourage her thinking.

"What's going on here" dad said as he climbed down the stairs. I didn't even know he was at home. Maami adjusted her clothes and greeted dad. He slightly nodded his head and sat on the sofa. "Bhaisaab look at the kind of clothes this girl is wearing. She's a motherless child so it's my duty to correct her" she said and took the tray from Manju didi and kept it infront of dad.

Dad ignored her and started reading his newspaper. I laughed internally and sat across dad. He looked at me so I straightened. "Don't you have to go to college today" he said and I nodded. Without wasting much time I picked my bag and went back to my room. I showered and got ready for college in thirty minutes. I checked my phone while leaving my room. There was text from Vihang. "I hope you like the gift I slipped in your bag😅" his text read.

"Panchi beta come and have breakfast with us" maami said while she served a parantha to dad. I nodded and walked towards the dining table. I took a slice of bread and picked a knife to butter it. "Eat this parantha it's healthy for you" maami took the bread slice and pored ghee on my parantha. I could only eat one despite of maami's fake concern.

Both dad and I stood up at the same time. I took both of our plates and kept it in the sink. "Didi who is she and when she leave? Since morning she's teaching me how to do my work" Manju didi whispered. I told her not to worry and ignore whatever she says. We giggled and she handed me my water bottle and a small box in which she gives me dry fruits to eat every day.

I kept it in my bag and looked for my keys when dad called my name. This took me by surprise so I rushed to the living room. "the driver said your car is overdue for service so leave the keys here today he'll take your car and return it by 7 pm" he ordered so I kept the key in the key tray by the door. "if you want you can take my car instead. I'll ask Gopal ji to pick me" he said. It took me a few seconds to register what he said.

"no dad it's ok I'll uber or something" I said but he didn't budge. I swear this man is someone else. My dad offering me to take his car. Naah. But after a minute I realised he was saying this only because we were surrounded my Saroj maami and Kavya.

"or it's better you drop me to college and I'll come back with Sid" I said and he picked up his keys without replying. I took it as a sign and since Manju didi was the only one who understood how big of a deal this was for me wished me good luck and I smiled back at her.

"Dad today there is an eid party at my friend Zoya's house and she has invited me. I know you won't if I spent the night at her place but Saroj maami" my voice trailed off but I kept looking at dad crossing my fingers. He didn't reply so I thought he may refuse. Although there was no plan for any night stay but I thought I'd better if I don't come home rather than coming.

"Don't worry about your maami I'll talk to her but come back early next morning" he said as we reached college. His reply brought a big smile on my face as I got out of the car. "thank you so much Paa. You are the best" I said and closed the door. I realized I accidentally called him Paa in excitement. But who cares after so many years was actually my paa.