45. VIHANG

I drove as fast as I could, and in about twenty minutes I reached the hospital. I asked about Panchi's dad on the reception and she pointed me towards my left. After taking a few steps I spotted Panchi, sitting on a bench, infront of the emergency room. I ran towards her.

"Panchi" she turned as I called her name. My eyes couldn't believe what they saw. Panchi looked like a ghost, pale, emotionless, she looked me dead in the eye and it scared the shit out of me. I saw Gopal uncle standing a few steps from her. Our gaze met and he shook his head, indicating that Panchi's dad was no more.

I slowly sat down with her, not knowing what to say so I simply remained silent. Gently, I grabbed her hand with mine. Her skin felt ice cold against my warm hand. With my free hand I removed a strand of loose hair from her cheek. "Panchi, say something, anything. Let out your emotions" I whispered near her ear.

She turned towards me and looked at me again. Finally I could see some emotion in her eyes. And then tears made their way one after another. I pulled her in a tight hug. "He's gone" she kept repeating, more to herself than to anyone else. There was nothing I could say to make feel better, so I just nested her against me as long she wanted to let out all her emotions.

"See, I told you, everyone I love, leaves me" her voice breaking. My chest tightened at her comment. I rested my chin on her head and reassured her that I'm right here with her. She cried for half an hour before Gopal uncle called out her name. She broke free from my grip and straightened herself, wiped her tears.

Facing her uncle, she nodded, confirming, she was ready. Ready for the responsibilities she had to take. To step up and take up the legacy her dad left behind for her in this world. In that moment, I saw my little sparrow mature beyond her age. Along with a pang of sadness for her, a proud feeling settled in my heart.

I stood up and held Panchi's hand before leaving, simply to assure her that she's not alone, I'll always be there, by her side. Reluctantly, she locked her fingers with mine. After finishing all the formalities, Panchi called her relatives and told them the sad news. The hospital authorities transported the body to her home. Panchi wanted to wait for a day before bidding a final goodbye to her dad.

On the way to her home, Panchi didn't said a single word. She was in no state to drive so I took her with me and texted Sid, explaining about the situation, I told him to pick Panchi's car from the hospital. As we reached, she reached for the lock but I softly grabbed her wrist. "Panchi, I promise, I'll always stay by your side, even if you push me away a hundred times, I'll still be right there with you" I told her. She freed her wrist and left.

As the day ended, most of Panchi's relatives were already here, including her annoying Saroj maami, who kept glancing at me every now and then. Her dad's friends and colleagues also made appearances throughout the day. Maa brought some snacks and tea from home.

Panchi refused to eat anything but Maa and Sid somehow fed her some sandwiches. Few of her relatives left but her maama and maami stayed back. "I'm fine you guys, you don't have to babysit me" Panchi said. Sid, Abheer and I also decided to stay with her through the night. Vartika too joined in. None of us budged so she gave in. Her relatives stayed in the guest room but she refused to leave her father's site, so we all slept at the floor with her.

Next morning, I woke up to something, rather someone warm wrapped around my chest. It was Panchi. She looked peaceful so I decided not to move. The morning sun donned upon her face. Her perfect skin glowed even more in the light. I gently caressed her cheeks with my free hand. "Oh God, so shameless these kids are" a loud voice woke everyone including Panchi.

She realised soon enough what had happened. She locked eyes with me for split second before getting up. She cleaned her face and straightened her clothes. Sid was still sleepy but Abheer woke him up and Vartika sat there in silence. Saroj maami kept saying something under her breath but we chose to ignore her. Thankfully the doorbell rang and went to open the door.

"Vihang beta" Gopal uncle said. Panchi had gone to her room by now but her maami was still pissed. Sid and Abheer were helping Vartika folding the sheets we slept on. Gopal uncle gave me a list of errands to be done before the cremation. I took Abheer and Sid with me so that we could finish the work faster.

"Going out for some work Gopal uncle assigned. Will be back soon" I textedPanchi before leaving. "Make sure she stays away from Panchi" I instructedVartika about Saroj maami because I didn't want her to upset Panchi any morethan she already was.