30. VIHANG

I was half an hour late so as soon as I reached Panchi's house I called her. She came down within a minute. She was looking really pretty. I got out of the car when I saw her coming. I just couldn't look away from her. I grabbed her bag and kept it in the backseat and opened the door before she reached for the handle.

"Where's Sid" she asked as we settled in the car. I wanted to keep looking at her instead of driving. She checked her makeup in the front mirror as I drove. "He'll come with Abheer" I answered her question and she nodded in response.

"Thank you for these jhumkas by the way. You didn't have to" she said tucking her hair behind her ear. Before giving her the bag I kept a box with a thank you note in it. She was wearing the jhumkas I gave her in that box.

"They look good on you" I replied without looking at her. She smiled and thanked me. The radio played my favourite song so I raised my hand to increase the volume. My hand collided with Panchi's hand. I didn't notice that she was also going to increase the volume. Touching her hand made my heart skip a beat.

She immediately pulled her hand back. "You also like old songs?" she asked looking at me. I nodded shifting in my seat. She was looking at me with her puppy eyes expecting me to make conversation. I was purposely avoiding her because I know the minute I gave her my attention I wouldn't be able to pull back.

After we reached I told Panchi to go inside I'll join after parking the car but she refused and insisted we go together. "Wait" I said when she was reapplying her kajal. She panicked thinking her makeup smudged. I took her kajal and made a dot at the back of her ear. First she gave me a puzzled look but then she froze and kept staring at me. "It's my duty to protect you from any evil eyes little sparrow especially today when you like a Goddess from heaven itself" I said and got out of the car to open the door for Panchi.

"Can I leave this bag here I don't want to carry it" she asked as I opened the door. I nodded and gave her my hand to help her get out of the car in those heels. She reluctantly grabbed it. She didn't let go of my hand as we walked. As soon as we entered Kashaf pulled me into a hug. Panchi's face dropped. I noticed it before she could fake a smile. She let go my hand and greeted Zoya.

"Has Sid arrived" I asked Kashaf since he did not tell me about his plans. She nodded and asked me to join our friends in the back. I was looking for Panchi who already found Sid and Abheer. I told Kashaf I'd join her in minute. I went to Sid and warned the three of them to not get too much drunk. Even while talking to Sid I was looking at Panchi. "Ok uncle" she said rolling her eyes. Before I could reply Zoya interrupted and took them with her.

I was talking to some friends from school but my eyes were following Panchi wherever she went. I caught her looking at me a few times so I looked away. "Vihang I've heard you are dating a really pretty girl. Introduce her to us. I promise we won't bite" Rajat said. He was my classmate in tenth standard. I definitely didn't want any of my characterless friends to even see her. I had already texted Vartika and thankfully she came to my rescue.

"Hi guys. Missed me" she said punching Rajat playfully. Even in school Vartika had quite a reputation. No one could even think of messing with her. After a few minutes of small talk we both excused ourselves from the group. "Kashu baby where have you been" Vartika and Kashaf hugged each other. All three of us were in the same class since first standard. We were famous for our pranks and mischiefs. Kashaf told us to get comfortable and she'll be back in a few minutes.

Vartika and I went to Sid who was sitting with a few of their friends. So we both sat in a quite corner. "Where's your lover boy? Isn't he joining us today?" I asked Vartika taking a sip of my drink and watching over Panchi from the distance. She was laughing at something Abheer said and just like that I was jealous of my future brother in law once again. "He's just running late" Vartika said texting something on her phone.

"You realize this is creepy" she said locking her phone. I looked at herand frowned to which she scoffed and shook her head. We talked for a while whenYash came from behind and greeted Vartika with a kiss. Just then Kashaf cameand Vartika introduced her to Yash. "Hello jiju. I was dying to meet my bestie'sfuture husband" Kashaf said and side hugged Yash who got little awkward but didn'tshow.