Chapter 27

Chris pov...

"You have a nice home..." Kate said as we walked back into the kitchen after i gave her the complete tour... "Thank you..." I say smiling, happy she likes it... "It is just all so... Calm... Serene..." She says and i nod... "I dont like to much stuff... Clutter makes chaos in my brain..." I say and she chuckles... "Yeah... You were always like that..." She mumbles and takes a deep breath... "I dont know if i have said it before... But just make yourself at home... Whatever you like to do... It is okay..." I say and she gives me a little smile...

Dodger nudges her and i chuckle... "So needy..." She says giving him some scratches behind his ear... Dodger plops down and rolls on his back and i laugh... "Yeah you have done it now... Belly rubs are required...." I say and Kate smiles... She gives Dodger what he wants and once again i get this warm feeling in my chest as she coos at him. 

She stands back up and looks at me. For a moment we stare at each other and there it is again... This warm feeling in my chest... Just like this morning... She clears her throat and looks away... My mind is racing, i am scolding myself to think of something to say to break this awkward tension... I dont know why it felt awkward but somehow it does... Still not a bad kind of awkward... Come on Chris... Say something... I scold myself internally.  But before i can think of something Kate speaks up. "Do you mind if i take a book to read..." She says breaking the tension. "No... No... Of course, not..." I say and she gives me a quick nod before she walks to the living room. 

I let out a sigh, hang my head and try to quiet my thoughts... I am imagining things... Aren't i? Did we have a little moment... Even if it was for a second... Was there something there... Did she feel it to? Or am i just seeing things... Am i just driving myself crazy by wanting there to be something... I take another deep breath... I need a distraction... 

So, i decide to work out... I hit the gym and work out for over 2 hours. I push myself to the limit trying my best to clear my mind... And for a second it is working... That is until Kate appears in the door opening with Dodger of course next to her... I stop what i am doing wiping the sweat off with a towel...Kate blushes as she looks at me... I am not wearing a shirt... This time i am not imagining it... She is checking me out... I swear is see her checking me out... But just as quickly she shakes it off... I have to admit i like the way she looked at me... For a split second i felt on top of the world...

"So... I did something..." She says blushing... "Yeah? What is that?" I say walking over to her a little curious and a little overconfident... The way she looked at me had fed my ego... "I baked a cake..." She whispers and i look at her stunned for a second... "Cake?" I say and she nods... "I thought you were reading a book..." I say and she sighs... "I was... But i could not concentrate on the words..." She whispers and i smile... "Okay... So, you baked..." I say smiling and she nods... "You want a piece?" She asks and i nod... "I am not saying no to cake..." I say and a smile appears on her face... 

"Okay... I will go cut you a piece..." She says and i nod... "I will be right there..." I say and she nods and leaves, Dodger prancing after her... I smile as she seems to have a spring in her step... I am happy she is feeling comfortable enough to bake...  It means she is distracted and not in bed... I think that is a good sign... She feels comfortable enough to move around... To get out of bed... That makes me happy... I put my shirt on and wipe off the machines...

As i walk out the gym the delicious smell of cake hits me... It is mouthwatering... I walk into the kitchen and i look around... Dodger is lying in his spot... I notice there is no proof of her baking... The kitchen is spotless... But in the middle of the counter is this beautiful chocolate cake... I didn't even know i had everything to make one... I look at Kate who is looking around, opening cabinets her back turned to me... "Can i help you find something?" I ask and she jumps, i guess she did not hear me come in...

"Holy shit! Chris... You scared me..." She says shaking and shivering and i can see the tears well up in her eyes... "I am so sorry... I am so sorry..." I say rushing over to her and i pull her into a hug... "I am sorry... I really did not mean to scare you..." I whisper and kiss the top of her head... She softly cries mumbling something by being caught off guard... "It is okay, sweetheart... It is just me..." I say rubbing her back and kissing the top of her head as clings onto me and buries herself into me... God she still fits perfectly... 

She calms down and pulls back. "Sorry..." She whispers looking at me... Her face all red and puffy... "No need to be sorry..." I say and i smile at her... "Now... I heard that there was cake to get here..." I grin and this makes her smile again. She nods... "I was looking for plates to put it on..." She says and i chuckle and walk to one of the cabinets grabbing 2 plates... 

She cuts us both a piece of cake and we sit down in the same places where we ate breakfast... I take a bite of her cake and God it is heaven... "Damn... This is delicious..." I say taking another bite and Kate smiles softly... "I really am sorry for overreacting..." She all of a sudden says as she pushes her cake around on her plate... She looks so sad again... "Kate..." I say but she does not look at me. I put my hand over hers that is lying on the counter... "It is okay... I get it... With what happened i get that you can be a little jumpy..." I say and she sighs... 

"I never saw it coming..."She whispers and i stop eating... I dont know what to say... Scared to say the wrong thing and make her shut down again... I just look at her and let her speak... "I went to pack my bag... I was going to leave... He came from behind... I never saw it coming..." She whispers her voice wavering off as another tear runs down her cheek. I push my plate away as her tears keep coming... "I didn't see it coming... I didn't see it coming..." She says again breaking down. She is gasping for air as she is now uncontrollably sobbing. 

"Come here..." I whisper standing up. I lift her off the chair and i carry her to the living room were i sit down with her in my lap wrapping her in my arms. I just let her sob... She needs to let it all out... But she is opening up and although it is a good thing, hearing her cry and hearing that she did not see it coming is heartbreaking....