Chapter 25

Kate pov...

I can't sleep... I really can't sleep... I had dozed off for a bit but an hour later i was lying awake staring at the ceiling... I snuggle with Dodger who seems so content with the attention. God he is cute... At some point he gets restless and i wonder if he needs to go outside...

"Okay sweetie..." I say and get out of bed... Dodger jumps off and excitedly jumps up to me...I put on the fleece jacket that i still had lying in the room. I put on my shoes and sneak out of the room with Dodger... I try to be as quiet as possible as i dont want to wake up Chris... I already kept him up late and he had woken up when Dodger had the zoomies... 

I follow the same route i had last night... I have not seen the rest of the house and it felt wrong to go exploring myself. Chris had offered to show me around so i felt it was wrong for me to do on my own. Besides i did not want to end up in some room i was not allowed in... The last thing i wanted was to overstep a boundary. Especially because he had been kind enough to let me stay when he did not have to... 

I reach the kitchen and i smile as i had been right because Dodger immediately walks to the back door... I wonder if i can open it... I wonder if there is an alarm... There is no key needed so i turn the locks and slide it open... I dont hear an alarm and Dodger runs outside. He immediately runs off and i step outside... I take a deep breath as the cool air hits my face... It is getting light out... The sun is coming up... I keep walking, following Dodger... His yard is bigger than i expected... I come to this little seating area and i sit down... 

I smile as i have the perfect view of the sun coming up. Dodger comes up to me to check in before running off again... His nose is on the ground as he is sniffing something out... I close my eyes for a second and listen to the birds waking up. I pull my knees up to my chest wrapping my arms around my legs and just sit there... Listening to the birds, watching the sun come up... 

A new day... I take a deep breath... Birds is all i can hear... It is peaceful. I keep an eye on Dodger who is running around... I call him over every now and then when he gets too far away for my comfort. I assume there is a fence around the grounds but i dont know for sure as i can't see the end of the garden. Dodger is a good boy and comes every time i call him. 

I dont know how long i am sitting here when i hear my name being called... I look over my shoulder and Chris is standing behind me looking a little worried... "Are you okay?" He asks and i nod... "Sorry... Dodger needed to go out to pee... Didn't want to wake you. I am sorry if i overstepped... But i didn't mean to worry you..." I say and he smiles and walks closer... "Dont worry... You didn't overstep..." He says smiling... "I just couldn't resist watching the sun come up..." I say and he smiles even more... 

"Wanna sit... The sun i almost up..." I say scooting over, and he sits down beside me... "It is so peaceful here..." I whisper and he nods... "It is why i bought the place... With all the crazy in my life i need a place where i can recharge... Get away from it all..." He says and i take a deep breath... "You have come a long way from the little apartment we lived in..." I mumble and Chris takes in a sharp breath... "Sorry... Didn't mean to..." I start to say but he cuts me off... "God that place was a dump..." He mumbles but with a smile on his face... "Yeah... Still, i loved that place..." I whisper and Chris looks at me a little surprised but with a smile on his face... "Me too..." He says and we stare at each other for a second...

I dont know what it is but for a second i get lost in his eyes... When i realize this i quickly look away and clear my throat... I shiver as i am confused to what just happened... There washes a silence over us again and this time my mind is reeling as i am desperately trying to think of something to say. Desperate to break the sudden awkwardness... The sun is now fully up but there is a chill in the air... 

"Are you cold?" Chris asks and i nod... "A little..." I whisper thankful he broke the silence. Chris stands up... He holds out his hand for me... "Let's go inside..." He says and i hesitate for a second but put my hand in his. He pulls me up and i let his hand go ignoring the tingling... We walk inside. Chris calls for Dodger who zooms past us and runs into the house... 

"Do you want some breakfast?" Chris asks as we walk into the kitchen. I nod. "Good... Sit... I will make pesto eggs..." He says and i chuckle... "What?" He asks and i shake my head... "Please tell me that that is not still the only thing you can make..." I say and he grins... "No... But if i remember correctly and it has not changed you loved my pesto eggs..." He says and i blush and nod... I sit down at the kitchen island... Chris feeds Dodger first before he gets everything from the fridge that he needs for breakfast... 

"Can i ask you something?" I say and Chris looks up and nods... I take a deep breath as i have wanting to ask the question that had been on my mind since the funeral... I knew the answer... Well i was 99% sure but still i needed to hear it from him... "Did you arrange the funeral?" I ask and he stops what he is doing... He blushes and nods... "Yeah..." He says and i bite back my tears.

"Thank you..." I whisper my voice hoarse, and he gives me a small smile and nods... "No thanks needed... Just glad there was something i could do to help..." He says and i can't stop my tears that now start streaming down my face... Chris stops what he is doing and walks around the island and without another word pulls me into a hug as i cry... I cling onto him as i just can't stop it anymore... When i have calmed down he lets me go and continues with breakfast...