Chapter 13

Chris pov...

I look nervously at Tyler as he is on the phone with Tara... Finally, an update about Kate... But looking at Tyler it is not a good one... The look on his face says it all... It is bad. I listen closely as i am dying to know how Kate is doing... It has been almost 24 hours... Tara had not been home again. 

"Okay... No, you stay as long as needed, i got it here. You just look after Kate... The kids are good, had a good day at school... Call if you need anything... Give Kate our love... Tell her whatever she needs... Yeah... Yeah... I will tell him... No... I will make sure... I will keep him here. I know... I will do my best..." Tyler says over the phone and looks at me... He looks serious... The look in his eyes scares me. It has been hours... The night has gone by, i barely got any sleep as i didn't want to miss any updates... I had been on the verge of going to the hospital a few times, but Tyler kept me sane saying i would only cause more stress for Kate.  So instead, i helped Tyler with the kids. We had gotten the kids up and to school and we had also picked them up again. I played with them in the yard, and we have had dinner together... They were now doing homework or playing. Soon it would be bedtime and i promised to read them all a story even though i did not really felt up for it. But it was a good distraction.  All the while we were practically in the dark on how Kate was doing. Tara did not know much either. We got a few short updates but there was barely any news... Until now, i guess...

Tyler hangs up the phone and lets out a deep sigh. "Kate? How is Kate?" I ask and Tyler takes in a deep breath... "Tyler?" I say wanting him to just tell me... He stays silent and seems deep in thought... "TYLER!" I yell and he snaps out of it... "You better sit down..." He says to me pointing at the couch. I shake my head. "Just fucking tell me..." I say and he sighs... "Fine... But i promised Tara to keep you here... Promise me to stay here... You are not going to the hospital... Or do something stupid... Dont make me break the promise to my wife..." He says and i bite my tongue and nod... 

"Chris... I need your word..." Tyler says and i am annoyed... "Fine... I promise..." I say and he sighs... "Kate is awake... Physically she will be fine.... But when she was out, she was bleeding internally... I am not a doctor so i dont know exactly what happened, but they had to do an emergency c-section... They had to get the baby to try and safe either one of them... The doctors tried everything, but they could not safe the baby... He died after 2 hours in the NICU..." Tyler says and i drop myself on the couch letting my hand run over my face... "She lost her baby..." I whisper looking up at Tyler. He nods looking sad... "Yeah... As you can understand she is not doing too good..." Tyler says and i nod... 

"Has she told what happened?" I ask and Tyler shakes his head... "She is not talking... Not to anyone... Not to the doctors, not to the nurses and not to Tara... All she keeps saying is that she wants her baby, which is understandable... But what i understood from Tara is that the police have stopped by her place. Initially to notify Elliot about her being in the hospital seeing as we dont know what had happened... The place was a mess... There is evidence of a struggle and a fight... But Elliot is nowhere to be found... So, they are looking for him... They are looking into it bur for now nothing is sure... Not until either they find evidence or Kate starts talking...'The police is going to talk to her tomorrow hoping she will talk to them..." Tyler says and i feel myself getting angry...

"Who else could have done this... She has not done this to herself!" I yell standing up and i start pacing up and down. "Calm down... I dont want the kids to hear..." Tyler says and i groan and run my hand through my hair... "Sorry..." I mumble but i can't stop pacing up and down... "The police is just doing their jobs... Elliot will show up and the truth will come out... All we can do is be there for Kate in any way she needs us to..." Tyler says and i sigh and nod... It is just frustrating... I know this guy has done this and i want him to pay... I feel the urge to go on the hunt for him myself... 

"For now, there is nothing we can do. Tara is going to stay with her in the hospital. Kate has to stay a few days. I am going to bring her some stuff tonight so i was hoping you could watch the kids..." Tyler asks me and i sigh... "Can i bring it over?" I ask and Tyler sighs... "Chris... There is nothing you can do... I dont think Kate seeing you is going to be the best thing..." Tyler says and i sigh and sit down again and nod... "Yeah... I know... God i know that... I just..." I say and tear up and put my head in my hands... 

"Man... I get it... You still love her and i know you want to help and fix it all... But there is nothing you can do to fix it... This is not a thing that anyone can fix... This is a thing she has to learn to life with... As harsh as that sounds..." Tyler says sitting down next to me and patting shoulder... I just feel numb and so heartbroken for Kate. I know that she always wanted to be a mother... "She... Her face... Her baby... God she was so happy she was going to be a mom... She was glowing when i saw her in the store with ma... This beautiful bump, the most beautiful smile... She was going to be an amazing mom..." I whisper and Tyler sighs and nods... "She will be one day..." He says and i sigh... We sit there in silence until Tyler stands up... "I am going to grab some stuff for Tara and Kate... Bedtime for the kids... Can you...?" He asks and i nod and i stand up to... "Yeah..." I mumble and walk off to put the kids to bed...