Chapter 23

Chris pov...

Kate is sleeping for a few hours now... I check in every now and then. While i checked in, Dodger snook in and is now snuggling with her... He is happy... He has someone to snuggle with. It was cute, she pulled him closer in her sleep and just nuzzled into him... He looked at me wagging his tail and i knew it was okay so i left again. I left the door slightly ajar for him to leave when he wants to...

I had texted Tara and told her everything was good, and that Kate was sleeping. All i got back was a thumbs up. I think Tara is a bit hurt that Kate did not want to stay there anymore... She said she understood but i know she is worried. I called Carly and that was a long conversation. I told her what was going on and that for now my time with her kids should be at her place... She understood. She was a little surprised that Kate had come home with me. But said i did good... She was happy Kate was okay... 

Of course, i got a call from ma immediately after that... Ma was a little worried. She knew that Kate had been missing. I explained what happened and ma just like Tara was a little worried but in the end i assured her that for now, everything was good... Ma just told me to call when i needed anything which i certainly would take her up on when it came time to do grocery shopping and such... 

For now, i put my phone on silent as i was tired to...  Today has been a long day. I make myself a sandwich as i dont feel like cooking anymore. When i have eaten i wonder if i should make Kate something to eat for when she wakes up... But just as i decide against it, thinking she will sleep through the night Dodger appears and a few seconds later Kate appears. She looks a little shy looking around... 

"Hey your up..." I say smiling and she nods... She pulls on the sleeves of her shirts. "Do you want something to eat?" I ask and she shrugs her shoulders... "Or do you want a tour of the house?" I ask and she shrugs her shoulders again... She looks out of the window and i smile... "I can start a fire in the firepit, and we can just sit... Watching the stars or something?" I say and i internally celebrate as she nods... I was planning on going to bed being tired from a hectic day but now that i have this victory i refuse to go... 

"Okay... Wanna help?" I ask and she nods again... "Okay..." I say smiling. While Kate puts on her shoes i grab some blankets. I know she loves to snuggle into blankets so i grab a bunch bringing them outside... I grab the pillows for the lounge chairs and put them on the chairs. Kate comes outside and i smile... "Is this okay...?" She asks as she has taken one of my fleece jackets i had hanging by the front door for my walks with Dodger... I smile as Dodger is following her around. He seems to really like her... He is glued to her. "Of course it is okay..." I say and she seems happy with my answer as she wraps the jacket around her. "Let's get some firewood..." I say and Kate nods and follows me to the shed were i keep it... 

We grab some firewood and i chuckle as Dodger is doing his part carrying the log Kate gave him... After putting all the logs down next to the pit Kate sits down in one of the chairs and makes herself comfortable. I smile as she takes a few of the blankets and just like i thought snuggles into them... I manage to make a fire and walk inside saying i will get her something to eat and drink... 

When i walk back out with some snacks and drinks i chuckle... "Are you comfortable, bud?" I ask Dodger who is sitting between her legs and is now wrapped in the blankets with Kate... He looks at me all smug and proud... I pat his head and hand Kate her drink putting down the snacks between us on the side table... 

She takes a sip and looks at me surprised... "You remembered...?" She says and i sit down and smile while nodding... "Yeah... Sparkling water with orange instead of lemon..." Is say and she nods... I take a sip of my own drink. We sit in silence but every now and then i peak at Kate who is staring into the fire. She is mindlessly stroking Dodger who has laid down between her legs making himself comfortable. Kate seems in deep thought and i fight the urge to ask her what she is thinking. I dont want her to feel pressured to talk. It has to come when she is ready. 

Every now and then i throw some more logs on the fire. Even though we dont speak much it is nice... The silence does not feel uncomfortable. At least not to me. I am just happy that she is enjoying it. She has eaten something and i refiled our drinks 2 times... Although what she ate were just snacks it is at least something. 

But when i look over again i see that Kate had fallen asleep. I smile and wait until the fire has burned out before cleaning everything up. When everything is done. Kate still had not woken up. I hesitate between waking her up and just carrying her to bed... But i think carrying might be overstepping so i gently shake her awake. For a moment she looks around dazed and maybe even a little scared... "It is just me... You had fallen asleep... The fire is out..." I say and she yawns... "What time is it?" She whispers and i look at my watch. 2.45 in the morning..." I say and she yawns again... 

She helps me carry everything inside. We put everything away and then she says goodnight. I chuckle and shake my head as Dodger follows her, and she does not seem to mind. Al though i will miss Dodger sleeping with me as it had become something i am used to, i am happy he is keeping Kate company, and she seems to enjoy it. I close up the house and when i am finally in bed, it does not take long before i am asleep myself.