Chapter 11

Chris pov...

I look at Kate standing in front of me... I am in shock. She is trying to hide it but i can see the black eye behind the big sunglasses... Even if i could not, it is night and there is no reason to wear sunglasses... 

"Kate... What the hell happened..." I say a little louder and angrier than intended... She flinches... I take her in and i now fully see the state she is in... She is wearing pajamas, her hair messy and her face all red and puffy... She has been crying and then there is the obvious black eye... Normally she is always so well put together... Kate does not like to go out looking disheveled like she does now and then i dont mean the black eye... She tries her best to hide the black eye with the sunglasses and hood but even a blind man could see it... 

"I... You... I need to go..." She says shaking and she turns around... "Kate no wait... You can't... Not like this... What happened..." I say grabbing her arm and she hisses in pain...  I release her immediately... "Sorry... Sorry..." I say and take a deep breath to calm myself. I need to because seeing her like this makes my blood boil. "Kate... Did your fiancé do this to you?" I say and she starts to walk away while she keeps repeating, she has to go... 

"Kate... Come on Kate... Dont leave... You can't leave like this..." I say walking after her... "I cant be here..." Is all she says as she walks back to her car... "Kate... Let me call Tara... She has date night with Tyler... But i know they will come right back if i call them..." I say desperately wanting to keep her here... I want her safe and i know that she will be safe here... "Kate... I will leave as soon as they are here... I can't leave now... The kids are asleep... But i will leave as soon as they are here... Please dont go..." I say pleading with her... 

Then a car pulls up and i let out a sigh of relief as Tara and Tyler are home... Kate looks around like a caged animal. As if she is being hunted. She just seems so scared. I can see that she is confused and anxious not knowing to stay or to leave... "See... Tara is here... It is going to be okay..." I say letting out a sigh of relief... 

"What is going on?" Tara says getting out of the car like lighting looking between me and Kate. She is confused and Tyler looks equally confused... "She has a black eye..." I blurt out wanting Tara to stop Kate from leaving and just help her... Tara immediately walks over to Kate... 

Everything after that goes quick... Tara reaches Kate takes a look at her face... Kate just starts to cry and when Tara hugs her Kate clings onto her... Her legs give out and i see Tara and Kate sink down to the ground. Tara yells to call an ambulance and i rush over to Kate and Tara while i hear Tyler call for the ambulance... Tara has removed the sunglasses, and it is even worse than i thought... Her face... Her beautiful face... Her eye is swollen that i wonder how she managed to drive here... I dont think she can see anything through it. 

"Is she breathing?" I ask Tara as i kneel down next to her. I feel myself starting to panic. Kate is laying in Tara's lap like some rag doll, and it looks so scary... Tara does not reply as she is checking Kate over... "TARA! IS SHE BREATHING!" I yell and Tara looks up scared... "Yeah..." She says as Tyler has now joined us still talking to the 911 operator. I vaguely hear Tyler ask Tara if there are more injuries, but Tara says she does not know... Kate is just out... "The baby... Oh god the baby..." I whisper... Tara looks up at me... 

"Tell them she is 25 weeks pregnant..." Tara says to Tyler who relays the information... In the distance we start to hear sirens. I know it is minutes, but it feels like hours... Finally, we can see the lights and i stand up to wave them over... My heart is pounding in my chest as to me it looks like they are in no rush... They park, get out and grab their stuff as if they have all the time in the world... Or maybe i am imagining that...

There is nothing i can do as i just watch in horror as they make their way over to Kate and do their job... I listen to Tara giving them information about her pregnancy. I stare at the scene in front of me in a daze... That is until Tyler snaps me out of it... I am being asked a question about Kate... If i know what happened... I shake my head telling them she showed up at the door like this... That i was not able to get any information out of her. 

When they load her up i ask if i can come along but Tara cuts me off telling me, no... I start to protest but Tyler puts his hand on my shoulder to calm me down... "Let Tara go with her... We will wait here for news... Tara will call with updates... I dont think you going with her is the best thing..." Tyler says and i give in but i am not happy about it... I just want to make sure she is alright but i know that i probably will cause more stress when she wakes up... 

So i give in and let out a sigh giving Tyler a slight nod. Tyler says goodbye to Tara as we watch her go with Kate into the ambulance... Tyler leads me inside and he excuses himself to go check on the kids... I text Tara to please update me otherwise i am coming to the hospital... I dont get an answer. 

"Kids are still asleep..." Tyler says coming back downstairs pulling me out of my spiral... "Good... That is good..." I mumble and Tyler sighs... "Kate will be alright Chris, Tara is with her. She will keep us updated as promised..." He says patting my back but i can see he himself is not convinced... "Did he do this... That fiancé of hers..." I ask and Tyler sighs and shrugs his shoulders... "I dont know Chris... I dont know him well enough... Only had dinner with him a few times... He was friendly enough... We didn't really click... Tara and i found him... Strange... But he seemed to make Kate happy..." Tyler says letting out a sigh... 

We walk to the kitchen and Tyler hands me a beer... We are quiet for a second as we both take a sip... "Even in this state she wanted to get away from me..." I mumble feeling a sense of dread... Tyler sighs again... "I begged her to stay... I told her i would call you to come home... That i would leave as soon as you both were here... She would not even do that... I dont know what would have happened if you both hadn't showed up..." I say and Tyler grabs my shoulder... "But we did... All we can do now is wait for news and hope that Kate and the baby will be okay..." Tyler says and i nod...

"If he did this i will kill him..." I mumble and take another sip of my beer... Tyler chuckles thinking i am not serious... But i am... I am dead serious... If it turns out her fiancé did this, he is a dead man...