Chapter 24

Kate pov...

I had woken up and laid there for a while taking in the silence... God... The silence... I love the silence here...  Although the bed is comfortable... Really comfortable, i dont feel like staying in bed. This is the first time i feel like getting up. Maybe it was because of the silence... The fact that there was only one other person in the house was making it that i felt like i could breathe, even if that person was Chris... Dodger had slept with me, and it was nice to cuddle with him. He is so sweet and comforting. I dont know when he gotten into bed with me, but i did not mind... 

Dodger had led me to the kitchen where Chris was cleaning something up. It felt a little awkward. But not awkward to a point i wanted to leave... I think i just have to get used to all this... It is strange being around Chris and not feeling angry or wanting to slap the living daylight out of him... 

He asked me if i wanted something to eat... I just shrugged as i didn't know. I think i could eat but my mind was not into it. He asked me if i wanted a tour but i shrugged again. God i did not know what i wanted... I looked outside and then he asked me if i wanted to light the firepit and just look at the stars... That sounded nice... He asked me if i wanted to help and i nodded... He smiled asked me if i wanted to help... I went off to put on some shoes and when i passed the front door i grabbed one of his fleece jackets to keep me warm... I hope he would not mind... I didn't want to overstep. So, when i joined him i asked him if it was okay... He told me it was of course okay and i pulled the fleece a little tighter around him. It smelled like him and somehow that was comforting... 

We grabbed some firewood. I handed Dodger one and for a moment i smiled as he walked back with us all proud carrying his log... Chris had put out all these blankets. So, while i left the fire making to him, i made myself comfortable in a pile of blankets... 

After Chris managed to start the fire, he went inside to get us something to drink. Dodger looked at me whined a little and tilted his head. So, i opened the blanket and he jumped between my legs plopping down... I wrapped the blankets around us, and he seemed content with this. 

I looked up at the stars and wondered if my baby was up there... Is he with my father? I hope so... At least they would have each other... If, there is something like heaven... I wonder if i would ever see my baby again... Would he still be a baby if i saw him again... I push the thought out of my head as i feel the tears coming and i focus on Dodger... 

He seems content as i cuddle and give him all my attention... Chris comes back with not only drinks but snacks to... He hands me my drink and i take a sip... I look at him surprised... Surprised he remembered i like my sparkling water with orange instead of lemon... I tell him so and he smiles proudly... He sits down and we sit in silence... My stomach is protesting so i eat something. I can feel him watch me from time to time but i ignore it... I am just looking into the fire or up to the stars while petting Dodger who is now asleep between my legs...

He refills our drinks a few times and although we sit in silence it is nice... I dont know when but i guess had fallen asleep as i all of a sudden got woken up by Chris... I was a little confused on where i was at first, but Chris quickly reassured me... We brought everything inside and we said goodnight. To my surprise Dodger went with me and i left the door open a little bit so he could leave when he wanted. 

I sigh and crawl into bed. Dodger cuddles up to me and i lay there staring at the ceiling. I can hear Chris walking around as he is locking up the house... I still haven't seen the whole house... But what i have seen is beautiful... I dont know what i had expected... But not something this... Serene... 

Even this guestroom just exudes... Calm and serenity... I can hear Chris walk in the hallway and i hear a door open and close. I sigh again... I lay there for a while just looking at the ceiling... I dont know how long i have been awake when Dodger sneezes and i chuckle... I give him a kiss on his head, and he looks at me wagging his tail, tilting his head his tongue hanging out... All of a sudden, he jumps up and attacks me with dog kisses and for the first time i giggle... This only seems to make him more hyper, and i squeal as he is all over me... All of a sudden, he jumps of the bed and starts to have the zoomies... A few moments later there is a knock on the door... "Yeah..." I say and the door opens, and Chris appears looking a little groggy... "Everything okay?" He asks just as Dodger zooms past him into the hallway... I point at Dodger... "I am fine... Him... I think he has the zoomies..." I say and Chris sighs and looks at Dodger who is running up and down the hallway. 

"I am sorry... He is like this sometimes..." Chris says and yawns... "It is okay..." I say and Dodger runs in jumps on the bed being all crazy... "Dodger..." Chris groans and i can't help but laugh... This seems to change Chris's mood... He looks at me a small smile on his lips. 

Dodger jumps off the bed again and runs over to Chris jumping up to him almost toppling him over as he had not expected it... "What has gotten into you...?" Chris says stopping him and patting his head. Dodger just looks at him and tilts his head his tongue hanging out of his mouth... "I think it is my fault... He has been napping with me. Maybe he has a lot of excess energy..." I say and Chris smiles... "He likes you..." He says and i blush... "I like him to..." I whisper...

"I will let you go back to sleep... I think Dodger is all done now..." He says as Dodger jumps on the bed with me and gets comfortable again... I nod... I look at Chris and he seems hesitant to leave... When he is about to walk out i  call out for him... "Chris..." I say and he turns around... "Yeah..." He says looking at me with those puppy eyes... I hold my breath for a split second as my mind is reeling... "Thanks... For today... I mean..." I say stuttering and Chris clears his throat and nods turning bright red... "No problem... Goodnight Kate..." He says stuttering to and i take a deep breath and nod watching him leave to go back to his own room...

I sigh and drop myself back on the bed... I snuggle into Dodger and take a deep breath. I close my eyes pushing all the weird thoughts and feelings back... I dont have the capacity to think about all those things right now... I focus on my breathing and soon i doze off...