Chapter sixteen - Eleanor

January 18, 2023 Diary entry #22

Something strange happened earlier today. While eating breakfast together, Elijah was reading an article on his phone. Without looking up, he said, "I can't stand seeing articles about protests." I thought it was random so I asked what the article was about. He replied, "Because, they're fucking stupid. A bunch of animal rights people blocking off all of downtown to shout at people. I don't support animal abuse but fuck, people have places to be and they're ruining everyone's day."

I looked at my husband like I couldn't believe him, as if I didn't even know what language he was speaking.

In the early months of our relationship, I told him how many protests I've been a part of in this city in hopes to make a real change and he told me how inspiring I was and that protests are the only way to make a difference and he would love to attend the next one with me. What happened to that? Did he just change how he felt about that?

I told him that I for one think protests are powerful and moving and that he shouldn't be so negative. He scoffed in return and kept eating.

Am I crazy? Genuinely, am I being crazy? Should I bring up the fact that I remember him telling me the complete opposite? I don't want to start a fight with him but this really upset me and it's all I've been able to think about today.