Chapter Fifty-Nine

Too long (tis what she proclaimed) point out grammar mistakes PRETTY PLEASE

—First Person POV.—

Hoisting myself up onto a nearby branch, I watch as a mess of ash-blonde emerges from the doorway—speaking with the group of servants awaiting just outside.

A crimson mass follows closely at his side but while Katsuki is talking, his Dragon takes a step closer to the glass—claws briefly flicking up the latch before they start off down the hall and trudge out of sight.

The constant cheers are blaring into my skull, setting off a timer in my mind as I stand from the piece of spruce and jump onto the next branch.

Once I was close enough, I crouch down again—peering inside just for safe measures before pushing the unlocked glass, causing it to swing open in a creaky motion.

I fix the quiver-strap strung across my chest, making sure it's secure when I climb through the opening and land on the wooden flooring. Thankfully, the shouts outside had muted my movement, giving me the ability to take off down the corridor without any concern for being heard.

At the first turn, a part of me wants to whack past me over the head for not asking further questions on the direction of the Prince's room.

Moving to turn down another corridor—this time to the left, and a string of smoke bursts from my chest, easily yanking my attention the other way.

I let out a grumble in petty-relief as my legs skid to a stop, hurriedly altering my course so I could sprint down the other hallway—chasing after the trail that started to glow brighter as I grew closer.

There's a tickling feeling along my neck but I brush it off as the result of lingering kisses that had been planted there earlier during our little escapade.

And as I pass by another window, I pause—catching sight of the masses celebrating down below. The crowds stretched far beneath every bridge connecting houses and providing support for the large trees that worked as support beams.

Taking a moment to listen, the voices had started up a new chant: this one holding strung out tunes and lingering vocals of collective excitement.

The ceremony, it was starting.

With all the trees, I couldn't actually see how far I had ran already and I wasn't about to dilly-dally trying to find out—I bolted down the halls again, taking turns and listening to the muffled sounds of the tribes.

And just as I turn down a new hall, the trail before me suddenly vanishes.

Leaving behind a feeling of confusion that swiftly morphs into dread as I come to harsh stop, eyes glancing up and catching onto the man standing just a few feet away.

Anthracite eyes seem to notice me just as fast—his body slightly turning away from the window to acknowledge my presence despite my internal screams not to.