Chapter Fourty-Four

Prepare yourself.

—First Person POV.—

The hushed echoes of my footsteps on the cold marble floors accompany me as I navigate the desolate corridors.

Making my way down the barren hall, moonlight spills through towering windows—casting an ethereal glow on the ancient paintings lining the walls.

I don't give them much of a glance, attention too fixated on wishing for a good nights rest.

After my talk with Prince Todoroki, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep inside that foreign room and as soon as he bid me Goodnight, I couldn't help but stop him—the question on where my lovers slept slipping through my lips much faster than I expected.

He paused in his step, heterochromic eyes flickering back to me in surprise before his shoulders relaxed and his low voice lifted with a knowing tone.

"Three halls down, take the flight of stairs upwards and follow the paintings until you meet the double oak doors at the end of the left side of the corridor." Was his response, short and concise from his lips as if I would be able to remember it all.

But either way, I thanked him and we both headed on our way.

Now back to the problem at hand— I should've had him write down the directions or at least give me a map because I was now wandering through the labyrinthine passages.

The words from Prince Todoroki are still playing like a riddle in my mind. The moonlit paintings, once mere decorations, now mock me with their silent guidance.

My footsteps falter as another hall appears to the left causing me to deadpan, torn between the path to my right and the dimly lit corridor now.

There's a sigh that escapes my lips 'If I knew I'd be stuck in a nocturnal maze, I would've just laid back down.' I internally grumble—choosing to continue on with the hall I had been in.

If anything, it felt like this castle decided to transform, becoming an intricate puzzle designed to royally fuck over my sense of direction.

The silence amplifies the rustle of my frustration, and each turn I take feels like a gamble—yet when I reach another door, I froze, current objective suddenly forgotten.

Someone blocked the air to my right, barely holding back hushed breathing—I flicked my wrist before remembering that my bow was stored uselessly up against the wall of a bedside drawer, and I have to bite back a laugh at my luck.

I reached down, fingers grazing my thigh and pulling the dagger strapped there free with a tug of its short hilt.

Inhale. One slow step to the right, then another.

Exhale. Two more steps.

I suck in a breath before pivoting on my heel, tightened my grip on the blade and shoving the intruder into a silver beam of moonlight.

There's a squeak that escapes her lips as the shorter girls back meets the tainted glass—chocolate hair flopping over her features messily as a set of bronze flickers up to meet my (e/c).

And just as I take notice of the witch, I hurriedly let go with a string of hushed apologies falling from my tongue.

She's staring at me, that look of surprise still evident on her moon-kissed expression as her hand raises to touch the spot on her neck where my blade had grazed.

And then, the witch lets out a relieved breath—gorgeous eyes staring up at me with sparkles in them despite having a near-death experience.

"I thought you were going to kill me," She comments and the sweet tone in her voice makes me want to kick myself inwards as I chuckle nervously "We've been staying in the forests for the past few months— I guess I'm still on edge."