Chapter Thirty-Three

(Yo, point out grammar mistakes, this chap is too long and I'm too lazy to check myself lmao.)

((Oh yeah, btw, slight mentions of blood.))

—Third Person POV.—

The night was shrouded in darkness, with no moon to cast its gentle glow upon the world. The only sounds that broke the stillness were the chirping of crickets and the low rustling of the grass as wind brushed through it's blades.

Oddly enough, crimson eyes fluttered open and the Dragon sat up, his senses tingling with a strange unease. He glanced around the dimly lit field—rubbing a palm over his groggy eyes and taking a moment to adjust to the darkness.

The fire beside the Dragon had dwindled into a charred, ashy remnant, its warmth fading into the chilly night.

It takes his pupils a moment to dilate but by that time the sleep eating away at his body had subsided—allowing the redhead to fully awaken and as he does, dread crashes through his figure.

Like a poison, it courses through his veins—forcing his body to still all movement when he casts a glance across the campsite, immediately taking notice of the lack of one person.

And when that poison finally etched into his brain, the Dragon was stumbling to his feet—jumping up with eyes that scanned over the area and looked over the Barbarian sleeping soundly by himself.

"(Y/n)..?" He calls, voice raspy with sleep as his brows furrow.

Casting a glance off to the side, those crimson eyes land on the distant, dilapidated house—its door had been left ajar and the faint glow from the concealed lake within becomes visible through the darkness.

With a deep breath to steady his nerves, the Dragon steps forward—slitted pupils sending a brief glance down to check on the Barbarian as he passed before heading off towards the house.

It's quiet and the nights chilly air brushes along his scarred features, a new rush of concern twisting into his gut and causing the Dragon's pace to speed up.

Nearing the rotting steps, his brain attempted to calm itself, hoping to rationalize that he had been overreacting over something so small—until those crimson eyes flicker up past the open door and into the house.

There she stood, figure illuminated by the turquoise hue and stepping closer to the lake's waters.

"(Y/n)?" Eijiro calls, making his way onto the porch in slow manner—expression contorted to one of pure confusion when the Huntress didn't even flinch or make any move that would acknowledge his presence.

She just kept walking, her steps light and leaving no sound amidst the soft grass below her feet.

The Dragon stood at the door, only now taking a tentative step forward "Hey, what are you.." His voice trailed off when she paused to stand on the brink of the glowing lake, her body swaying in its step before suddenly leaning forward.

"Hey, hey, hey—!" His voice grew louder with panic as he lunges forward, hastily closing the short gap separating the two and gripping her arm firmly—preventing her from tumbling into the luminous waters.

With a sharp yank, her back crashes against his chest and the Dragon pulls her back from the edge—his body stumbling slightly when she suddenly fell within his grasp.

Pulling her a good distance away, Eijiro gently settled the Huntress down onto the ground—allowing her to sit along the soft grass before he circled around.

From the side, panic and fear grip his heart as he peers into her unresponsive (e/c) eyes, now clouded in a milky grey hue—the contrast accentuated by the eerie radiance of the lake before them.