Chapter Fifty-Eight

Thought this was appropriate for the chap lmao

And prepare yourself a bit.

—First Person POV.—

"I didn't mean it.." Katsuki starts, only for his words to trail off as a clawed hands slightly raises to stop him.

A look of bewilderment falls across my expression as silence hangs heavily in the air.

For a moment, those slitted eyes flicker down to me—his broad stature now casting shadows along my features as he silently acknowledges my presence and I am left questioning.

When he returns his attention to the Barbarian just out of arms reach, I follow his gaze to see Katsuki visibly taken aback and clearly wanting to speak up but staying quiet to oblige anyways.

"You know," Eijiro sighs to himself, finally allowing his hand to drop to his side "I've always supported you no matter what, always have," The Dragon states, keeping his gaze elsewhere.

"Even if, at the time, I wouldn't fully understand." I watch as ash-blonde brows furrow in remembrance, almost as if he was going through every memory possibly correlating to the words.

Scarlet irises flicker to meet mine for a second and I lightly raise a hand signaling for him to simply listen—so, he trains his eyes back on the Dragon behind me.

"I love you," Eijiro breathes and his volume falls slightly "I love you so much that I never once cared about what happened to me," He continues his rant but those simple words make the Barbarian shift in his spot.

"As long as I was at your side I convinced myself I was happy." With a short glance back, I see crimson eyes averted downwards like the words themselves were something shameful.

"You were right, I'm just an idiot blinded by my own feelings." He murmurs and I feel the scales pressing against my ankle—tightening with an anxiety I wish I could remove with the swipe of my hand.

But of course, nothing could be that easy.

"(Y/n), I'm sorry for lying," I blink, coming back from my thoughts and turning to look up at the Dragon as a new look of confusion flashes over my face.

"I knew it wasn't you, but what he said to me," Those eyes finally flicker up to lock with the scarlet ones just out of reach "A part of me wanted it to be real, so my feelings blinded me all over again." He admits.

"And again, my stupid heart turned me into just another idiot for you."

I catch the soft thump of a footfall behind me and don't need to turn my attention back to know he's taken a step back—followed by another that moves to position himself closer to the rim of the skylight.

Eijiro wants to leave, he's trying to go now and the subtle tug on my ankle is a plead for me to come with him.

"I'm sorry," Katsuki states with his voice raising loud enough to stop the retreating Dragon "I fucked up, I fucked up bad, I know." There's a few crackles that break through the tensing atmosphere as he takes a rushed step after us.