Chapter 20

Christmas Eve - 7:30PM

No Ones POV

The household was getting ready for Christmas they had set out the cookies and milk for Santa. Harper never really experienced much of Christmas growing up gifts were rare in foster care and often when she did get gifts they would be stolen by the other kids. This would be one of Harper's first proper Christmas after being in foster care. Amelia was excited for Harper as this Christmas would be magical for Harper, the gifts she had bought for her would make Harper's eyes sparkle.

HARPERS POV:

Christmas Eve, ugh I'm dreading Christmas. The family meal, Aunt Meredith has invited a lot of people from the hospital around including some people from Station 19, whom I haven't really met. Christmas hasn't felt the same since foster care, the thought of it is making me more anxious. What if Mom forgot about me? What if she didn't get me gifts? What if I don't like the gifts? I don't want to seem ungrateful if I have a meltdown over something I don't like, it's not really my fault it's the way my brain works. I don't really know how to communicate my needs or wants.

"Harper can you read me a bed time story" Said Ellis tugging on my shirt. "Of course sweetie, go get your jammies on and pick a book!" I said ruffling Ellis' hair. Ellis is Meredith's youngest daughter often she's my favourite I can talk to her about anything and she wouldn't even be able to understand much and she doesn't tell anyone my secrets something I treasure.
————
After I had read Ellis her story Aunt Meredith came in to kiss her goodnight, she was settled and went to sleep quickly despite all the Christmas excitement. Meredith wanted to tire the children out so they would actually fall asleep.

I made my way downstairs where I saw Mom sitting at the breakfast table. "Hey Harper" She said getting up to stand next to me. "You're lurking" I said as I saw her watching over my every move. "No I'm just excited for tomorrow" She said, I was confused she was an adult how could she be excited by something for kids.

"Excited? What are you like 7?" I asked chuckling a little bit. "Harper I can be excited about Christmas even if I'm not a child, I'm excited for you and to be with you" She said, sure I kind of understood that, but why wasn't I excited.
————
After my long chat with Mom, I decided to go up to bed. Well more like Mom told me to get to bed, so her and my aunts could lay out the presents, which I had to keep secret to the kids who still believed in Santa.

I was laying in my bed staring at the ceiling, my door creaked open. "Harper" Said the voice. It was Zola. "Zola are you okay?" I said as I was sitting up. "I can't sleep" She said softly. "Oh come on" I said patting to the space on my double bed. "Are you sure?" She said as she walked into my room.

"I don't mind, we can have a sleepover" I said scooting over to the other side of my bed. Zola climbed in "Thankyou" She muttered as she closed her eyes and quickly went to sleep.
————
2AM I was still awake sick to my stomach with anxiety, I got up out of the bed and headed down to Mom's room. I opened the door slightly but then thought to myself What if she was sleeping? What if I had disturbed her?

I closed the door, but heard a small voice "Harper?" Mom said quietly. I walked into the room and she was laying on her bed half asleep. "Harper what's wrong?" She asked rubbing her eyes and letting out a slight yawn. "I can't sleep, I feel too anxious and I-I don't know why s-sorry if I woke you" I said anxiously as I bit down on my lip. "Oh Harper come on" She said as she patted the bed gesturing me to get in.

I snuggled up to her which soothed my anxiety, I rested my head on her chest, I looked up to see Mom smiling at me. I started to feel my eyes shut.
————
Christmas Morning

AMELIAS POV:

It was Christmas morning and Harper was still sleeping like a baby, even though I was 100% sure that all the kids were up and bursting to open the presents. Harper was casually snoozing away, she didn't get much sleep last night and honestly I couldn't either.