Chapter 13

HARPERS POV:

The doorbell rang! Shit! She's here.. the rush of anxiety controlling my every thought. What if it looked dreadful? What if I had so many dead ends I would have to have my hair shaved off? What if it was so short I looked like a boy?

I shook my thoughts off as Mom greeted the lady at the door, I stood at the arched door to the living room that was next to the front door.

"Harper this is Lyn, Lyn this is Harper" Mom said introducing us with a kind smile. "Hi! Harper!" Lyn exclaimed. Her face grinned at me.

We walked up the stairs to the bathroom, where Lyn began to set up a chair and products by the sink. She layed out her scissors, shampoos and conditioners. She reached into her bag for an apron that tied around me to protect my clothes from the hair.

Mom walked out the bathroom, as I needed some privacy and didn't feel comfortable with her while I had my hair cut.

"Could you lean back into the sink" Lyn said. I tilted my head back, the water trickling down my scalp as she massaged the products in. She rinsed my hair till all the soap was out, and instructed me to sit up and stay still, something I found rather tricky to do especially in boring or anxious situations.

I tried my best to sit still ignoring every urge to move or change my position despite feeling uncomfortable. She then sectioned my hair equally into small parts.

"Okay Harper have you got a length in mind?" She asked me I was conflicted with the decision as my anxiety filled my body. I didn't want to refuse, as she already put in so much effort I felt as if I would be wasting her time.

I pointed to my top of my shoulder, I felt an instant wave of regret, what if it was the wrong decision, what if it was too short. Before I could even say anything, she already cut the first section, they was no going back now.

I remained sitting still trying to fight the urge not to fidget, I kept masking my constant need to move ignoring every impulse in my body, I closed my eyes in fear.

The sound of the scissors snipping stopped, the blow dryer switched on and I could hear the loud sound of air being blowed on to my hair.

I looked down and saw the amount of hair on the floor, my stomach swirled and felt like it was spinning. A section of my hair fell forward, I realised how short it actually was. Lyn grabbed out a curling iron and began to curl my hair lightly, making it appear even shorter.

"You're all done, would you like to look in the mirror?" She asked with a smile on her face. I turned around and stood in front of the sink glaring at my reflection in the mirror. I was shocked, I didn't recognise myself, I stood there in silence taking in the change.

The door opened, Mom walked in her reflection in the mirror I saw her face light up. She stood next to me in the mirror and wrapped her arm around my back, smiling at me gently.

"Look at you, all grown up Harper Shepherd!" She said with a grin on her face pulling me into a hug. I was still unsure about my new hair, I didn't recognise myself. All I knew is that I resembled my Mom in some way with the similar length and style.

I felt a bit more confident in myself, I couldn't really describe it

I felt a bit more confident in myself, I couldn't really describe it. I felt as if my features popped, you could really see how my green eyes stood out with my new hair making my complexion seem friendlier. I felt kind of pretty I guess, I never really have felt much confidence in me, but the way Mom saw me her face lit up.

Authors Note:

The dreaded haircut turned out to make Harper feel confident in herself and made her realise her features were a beauty.