Chapter 41

HARPERS POV:

I was sat outside of the CT room swinging my legs back and forth waiting for my Mom, I was supposed to be finishing up my homework, but with the brain I have it's as if I am like a small child.

Mom walked out of CT followed by an intern with the patient on a gurney.
"Harper, shouldn't you be doing your homework" Mom said staring at me then the homework that was thrown on the chair next to me.
"Right" I said picking up the homework.

"Take the patient to pre-op" Mom said to the intern as she took a seat next to me.
"I'm fine on my own" I said as I tapped my pen lightly.
"Mhmmmm, Harper I know your stuck on homework so don't try to deny it" Mom said as she took the sheet of homework from my hands
"I'm not, I can do it myself" I said sighing
"Harper, if you want help you can ask you know" Mom said as she took the pen from my hand and began to break down the math homework.
"I know and that's why I'm not asking" I said sitting further back in the chair.

"I do need to get to surgery so why don't we look at this later" Mom said placing kiss on my forehead before strolling off to her surgery.
————
I got up and decided to wonder around the hospital.
"Hey Harper" I heard the voice of Arizona say as I turned to her direction.
"Hi Arizona" I said seeing her face light up as soon as she saw me.
"You okay" She asked.
"Yeah Mom's doing surgery so I just thought I'd wonder around" I said.
"Well I could use some help" Arizona said.

We walked to the paeds for Arizona didn't say what she needed help with, but I was willing to help if it meant that I was able to stop my boredom.
"I thought that maybe you could be my assistant today" Arizona said as she handed me a small doctor's coat.
"Yeah I'm not wearing that" I said as I handed the white coat back to her and gave her a small eye roll.
"Okay, that's fine you can still be my assistant though" Arizona chuckled

"7 year old Estella Darrow admitted due to her parents constant concern of their daughter often seeming to stop tasks and 'space out' and forgetting after that, as well as multiple unexplained meltdowns and mood swings, refusal to eat, only eating pink yogurt" The intern read from her chart.

"Hello Estella, I'm Dr Robbins could you maybe tell me how you have been feeling?" Arizona asked the small girl who was rather skinny and pale.

I thought to myself, stopping tasks, spacing out, meltdowns, mood swings, only eating specific colour foods. This small girl could clearly be in need of an autism or ADHD diagnosis, but I didn't want to mention it as it could be something more.

"Harper" Arizona said snapping me out of my thoughts
"Yeah" I said biting my lip.
"Do you think you could entertain Estella while I talk with her parents" Arizona asked, I nodded and she pulled the girls parents outside to talk.

"Hey Estella, I'm Harper" I said greeting her with a smile. She was playing with her dolls rather focused, but then she stopped and her eyes fixed in place her whole body stopped, not even a blink. It lasted for 3 seconds she snapped out of it, before returning into another one.

The girl then started to rock forwards and back, but it wasn't a stim she seemed floppy almost.
"Arizona" I shouted, as the girl stopped rocking but slipped into the state I first witnessed.
"Hey" Arizona said as she walked in with the parents.
"That's what she does" The parents cried as they pointed to their child who was completely spaced out.
"Page neuro" I heard Arizona said, hoping my Mom would answer the page.

Tom Koracick walked into the room.
"Oh little Shepherd, nice surprise" He said as he noticed me sat down.
"Where's my Mom" I asked with a slight tone of disappointment
"Page neuro you get me, your Mom's doing surgery" He said.

The intern presented the case and Arizona added a few details. Tom flashed his light in the child's eyes, she was still in an episode.
"Get her a head CT" Koracick said, but I knew I just knew a CT wouldn't show anything, it was a gut instinct.