Chapter 54

Featured photo: some hi 5 news
-

Charm's POV
Hello, nice to see you again. I'm still in hospital. However, it's because I've been kept for counselling and observation due to my suicide* attempt.

After doing my homework,  I checked my social media updates. On my explore page, I realised I saw Ethan** and another girl*** on a reel. When I clicked it, I realised it was promoting Amaze's next concert!

After realising how important the concert could be for Amaze's future, I decided to share it on my story with the caption: please fly****/come down to her concert else Amaze might ends it's production.

That's when the door opened...

"Good morning Charm!" The counsellor attached under me greeted

"Good morning Charm!" The counsellor attached under me greeted. "How are you today?"

"I'm fine," I replied.

"Have you thought about what your strengths were yet?"

"I can't think of anything other than crying and Chinese."

"You have one! It's your Chinese. But I'm sure it's not the only one. Speaking of which, let's talk about how your relationship has been with...Crystal."

"You figured??"

"Yes. After all, you said last session it was "my best friend in Amaze." Considering she's just a year older than you, I pretty much figured it was her."

So we chatted about my initially close relationship with her until she got starred as the main character***** in a thriller movie

So we chatted about my initially close relationship with her until she got starred as the main character***** in a thriller movie. Everyone started comparing us, saying how she was doing many things in life and I wasn't. Since then, I worked hard on many things in hopes of teachers noticing me to send me to competitions.

NDP and Amaze came into the picture soon after that—opportunities I couldn't be a part of. Hence, I worked even harder in hopes of being noticed for competitions beyond CCA. And when I realised I couldn't do anything about it, I started to distance myself from Crystal.

"It's good you tried to do something to cure your own jealousy. However, I think you put in too much effort."

"...what do you mean?"

"Doesn't your record show you have Brittle Hair Syndrome? I've read up about how it affects the entire body."

"I know."

"It's worrying how you were trying to start workouts on your own despite what Brittle Hair Syndrome has done to your physical well-being. Why did you do it?"

"So people will stop laughing at me."

"We all have strengths and weaknesses

"We all have strengths and weaknesses. Crystal may be good at singing and dancing, but according to her social media account, she can't play sports. Even if she can't play sports, she does her best. You should do that in PE too."

"Just try?"

"Yes. That's why you say 'she's so bad yet she's so happy.' It's what she chooses to make out of her weaknesses. You can too. And speaking of Chinese, I was thinking you join this 绕口令(rao kou ling) national tournament." She handed me the brochure.

"What's 绕口令?"

"Chinese tongue twisters. Since you mentioned people always flatter you for your Chinese, you should develop that talent further. And my girl was sent for the 绕口令tournament so you should too."

"Are you kidding?"

"I'm not. You said you always wanted to be in a competition under a category other than for your CCA, right? So this is your chance."

I'm not going to turn down the opportunity I have been painstakingly working for for close to a year. "Is there any way I can sign up?"

"Someone has to sign you up on your behalf. Get your mum or dad to do that." Just then, I heard the knocks on the door. The counsellor went to see the door and it turned out to be my parents. She was gone for quite some time, so I bit my lip and prepared for the worst.

When she came back however, she was all smiles. "I have quite the good news for you, Charm. They said yes."

I cheered and punched my fist in the air, and then texted Crystal about the update in my life before closing off the counselling session. Lunch was served to my ward and I had it before I did some revision. After said revision, I got a reply from Crystal reading:

Congrats! I knew an opportunity was waiting for you. I'll help you whenever I can but don't expect me to go easy on you 😏
(724 words

 I'll help you whenever I can but don't expect me to go easy on you 😏(724 words

*-****: check chapter 53 for explanations
*****: will be covered later on