[Yeji] Blind and Broken

Her smile lights up my world. I'd been friends with her for about a year. At that time, I had a girlfriend, but we had recently broken up. I have no ill will toward her, what happened was unfortunate, but it wasn't because of something either of us had control of or caused. I would explain, but no one would believe me. I guess that's a long-winded way to say that there are no issues between us and we are both torn up on it. But that brings me back to the person I started talking about.

Her name is Yeji. She's beautiful, and I really started noticing her when me and my girlfriend started to realize things were beginning to crumble. The noticing mainly started when she became single. She and her boyfriend were drifting apart, and between you and me, I don't think he was being faithful to her. It was more so confirmed when she told he that he had already moved on about a week later. Since her breakup, I have been checking up on her. I would try to visit her in person, but sometimes I couldn't. Those days I made sure to text or call her. I couldn't let her be alone, not at a time like that.

Shortly after, she ended up getting sick. Nothing serious, just a cold. But that didn't change the fact that I wanted to make sure she was okay. Shortly after that, my relationship broke up. I spent far more time with her after that. We seemed to be good for each other. It seemed that she liked me. I knew I liked her. I fell hard, I won't deny that. Given the situation, I think it was to be expected.

That's when things went into motion. I handed the bitter liquid medicine labeled to treat cold symptoms over to Yeji. She tipped her head back, allowing the medicine to find it's way to her stomach, hopefully, to help her fight the cold that had been troubling her.

"Thank you, Y/n. I don't know what I would do without you, but I promise that I'm okay." She said softly with a smile.

"Yeah, well that doesn't make me worry any less." I chuckled as I took the small medicine cup from her. "Any fever? How's the sore throat?"

"It doesn't hurt anymore, thank you."

"Is there anything I can get you? Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"No, I'm good, Y/n." She giggled. "Have you been resting? How are you?"

"That's not important. What's important is that you're okay."

"You're important too, you know."

"You just worry about getting better, okay?"

"Okay, okay." She giggled. "I will focus on getting better."

While we talked, I was cleaning up her room. Picking up the tissues and empty cups and bowls. Making it as easy on her as I could when she felt better. I didn't want her to have to do much aside from getting back to life.

"Maybe..." I look over to her and meet her eyes holding the trash bag I used to clean up. "Maybe when you feel better we can go out on a date?"

She smiled and nodded her head. "I think I would like that. After what we have been through, I think it would be good for both of us."

I helped settle her in and get comfortable before heading back home. The journey home that night was filled with a stupid smile and wistful, intense gazes out the window of the train, or up at the towering buildings, or even general space. I was over the moon. Sure, I had lost a lot, but things were looking up. I had a beautiful girl that was willing to give me a chance. After feeling like a failure, unable to hold a relationship that was perfect for me, this meant so much to me.

There were plenty of bumps in the road for us. Obviously, neither of us was truly over what had happened to us yet. It would be crazy to think so, both of us were with our significant others for multiple years. So things, at least on her end, still reared up sometimes. The biggest one was her finding out that her ex had been dating someone else already. This confirmed my thinking that he wasn't faithful to her. Those were long nights. She would understandably cry and break down. I don't understand how anyone could do that to someone that they supposedly care deeply about.