48. reality or not.

Only if their story ended here. Some may choose to believe it, while others accept the real ending painfully.

Harry stared out into the distance on the Astronomy Tower. He never wished for more than anything to speak those words to Addy. Instead, he replayed them over and over again in his head, as if he were practicing for the real deal. But there wasn't going to be. He glanced at the empty presence beside him. He wished his fantasy had come true. When he told her he loved her before heading to the forest, he expected him to be the one to leave. The one to die.

It never occurred to him that it would be the other way around.

He remembered the event clearly. He had just defeated Voldemort. Cries of relief erupted from the crowd behind him. He turned, exhausted, yet amazed how he defeated the Dark Lord. It was over. It was all over.

The remaining Death Eaters were devastated. Many tried to continue to wreak havoc, by shooting killing curses around. They didn't hit anyone.

But one.

He remembered hearing a familiar cry of pain. It was too familiar. He turned to see Addy, frozen. Her eyes were wide. She watched Harry, not upset or crying, but like she was saying goodbye.

Harry rushed over to catch her before she could fall. He cradled her in his arms.

"No, please-" he didn't care that he was sobbing in front of a crowd.

Addy was calm. Still. She looked up at him and took a labored breath.

"Just hold on-" Harry wanted to look around for someone to come help, but he never wanted her to leave his sight.

"There's no holding on." she whispered, "I'm going to see my parents."

His tears fell onto her as she smiled vaguely, "I'll say hello to yours and Sirius as well."

Harry shook his head, "You're going to be alright. Just stay with me, please."

She slowly shook her head and continue to smile up at him, "I've always loved the color of your eyes." she said softly, "I fall in love over and over again whenever I look at you." She closed her lids.

He watched as she took her last breath.

One inhale.

One exhale.

Her chest didn't rise or fall any longer.

The warmth in her body was still there, but it was slipping away. He let out a shuddering breath as he pressed his forehead to hers. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace.

The one he had given her when they were just fourteen. He wanted to return it to her.

He remembered being pulled away from her body, but he never let go. He shouted for someone to save her, to do anything. He didn't even care if it required a Time Turner.

He couldn't live without her. He couldn't.

But he knew there was nothing that could be done.

Harry snapped back to the present, watching the sun set. He remembered how he had snuck Addy up here during the night. How they talked and joked. How she still inhaled and exhaled.

He reluctantly forced himself to remember how he broke up with her. She was calm, understanding. Yet, he could still see the sorrow in her eyes. He wanted to pull her into a hug and kiss her, telling her that he never meant it. That he never meant to hurt her. But he had to. For her own safety.

It never made a difference either way.

The girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with was gone. He would never see her again. His mind began to wander to their night at the cottage.