Percabeth: A Night of Revelations

A/N:  First Edit: 10 May 2017 / Second Edit: 10 June 2018/ Third Edit: 4 April 2024

Jessica Hope (POV)

As I push my swim gear into my locker, I hear Nikki's voice calling my name. Nikki Has been my best friend since high school. I turn around to find her standing there with a coffee cup, a mischievous grin playing on her lips. "Here you go," she says, handing me the cup. I thank her with a smile and take a huge gulp, feeling the caffeine rush through my veins. 

Nikki's gaze is intense as she looks at me, and I can't help but feel a twinge of curiosity. "Why are you staring at me?" I ask, puzzled by her expression."Well, am I supposed to ignore the elephant in the room!? Did you ask out Percy yet?" she bursts out excitedly, unable to contain her curiosity. 

I let out a sigh, feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation swirling inside me. "No... but-" I start to say, only to be cut off by Nikki's exasperated sigh. "Come on, Jess! You've known Percy for over a year now! You both joined the Olympic swim team together at the same time! If that isn't meant to be, then I don't know what is!" she exclaims, her arms flailing in annoyance as she plops down on a nearby bench, making space for me to join her.

I roll my eyes at her theatrics and sit down beside her. "If you had just let me finish my sentence, you would have found out that he asked me to dinner at his house," I reply, a hint of excitement creeping into my voice. Nikki's eyes widen in disbelief, and she stops her dramatics, turning towards me with a mixture of shock and excitement. 

I feel a blush creeping up my cheeks as I glance shyly at my lap. "OMG!! Are you serious?" she exclaims, grabbing my shoulder and lifting me up, her laughter mingling with mine as we jump around the locker room in excitement. I thank the stars that Coach had already left, sparing us from her disapproving glare.

"Jess, we need to go shopping!! We need to buy you something super sexy!!" Nikki exclaims, her eyes sparkling with excitement. I roll my eyes again, but I can't help but giggle at her infectious enthusiasm. This dinner feels like a step in the right direction, and I can't wait to see where it leads. Grabbing my backpack, I follow Nikki out of the locker room, feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement bubbling inside me.

As we arrive at the nearby mall, I can't help but notice the emptiness of the shop fronts. Online shopping seems to be taking over, but Nikki seems undeterred as she grabs my arm and pulls me into a Berksha store, the big clearance stickers plastered across the front catching my eye. "We could find a great deal here!" Nikki tells me excitedly as she leads me to the sale rack.

We sift through dress after dress, but none of them seem quite right. Just when I start to feel discouraged, Nikki pulls out a black dress with sea-blue embroidery . At first glance, it might seem simple, but as I take a closer look, I see that it's elegant, with just the right touch of flair. It reminds me of Percy's ocean eyes, and I can't help but feel a flutter of excitement in my chest. "This one is perfect," I whisper to myself as we head to the dressing room to try it on.