The Final Chapter

Question of the day: How do you think the story will end?

Jake

And the award for the "worst person alive" goes to...me.

Matt wasn't speaking to me. Vanessa wouldn't even glance in my direction. And Addison only acknowledged me when I had fries.

It was after dinnertime when I flopped down onto the couch beside my sister to join her in whatever movie she had been watching. Picking up the remote, she instantly powered off the television and moved to stand up.

"Vanessa..." I pleaded. "Stay."

She strode across the room, switching off the lamp and leaving me shrouded in near darkness with only the light of the moon filtering in through the windows. "The TV's all yours, Jake," she bit out coldly. "Just as with Matt, you get to have it all to yourself. Are you happy?"

"No." I shook my head. "You both hate me."

Scoffing, she picked at a chip in the doorframe as she leaned against it, avoiding eye contact. "I don't hate you, but I do dislike you immensely." With that, she turned on her heel and thundered up the stairs.

Sighing, I laid back against the couch cushions and closed my lids. Being selfish only worked when there was something to possess. Without Matt's friendship, I had nothing. And without my sister in my corner, I had even less.

The abrupt scratching of a branch against the glass pane jolted me. Aren't you a tad old to be spooked by the wind?

Listening to the howls, I was transported back to a time when the only enemy my twin and I had was the weather. An age where we were still friends instead of foes.

A flash of lightning lit up my darkened bedroom in an explosion of sparks. Bolting up from beneath the covers, goosebumps pricked my arms. It had been a close one.

After my heart returned to a somewhat normal pacing, I hesitantly slid back under my comforter, pulling the linen over my head. A loud bang burst through the silence and from across the hall, a scream followed.

Within seconds, my door flung open, and Vanessa flew into my arms, latching onto me as though she were a tick. Her trembling hand grasped my shaky fingers, and I took in a steadying breath.

Be brave for her, Jake.

"It's alright, it's just thunder," I reassured her. "It sounds scary, but it can't actually hurt us." 

The wind laughed in response, the sheer force of it whistling through the trees. A sharp crack joined the chorus of threats as a limb snapped off the oak in the backyard. Vanessa shrieked again.

Tremors vibrated my body, but I did my best to pay them no mind. 

Be strong for her, Jake.

"It's just Chompy the dog playing fetch."  Grabbing the flashlight I kept stowed beneath my bed, I shone it against the wall and made a shadow puppet of a puppy with my fingers. The animation loomed large on the white paint. "See? He's an awfully large dog, Vanessa. He needs a branch just as big."

To my relief, my sister giggled. "Can you make a cat too?" Her little voice inquired. "Everybody needs a friend."

"Sure." I twisted my hands and before I knew it, all thoughts of the storm were replaced by imagery concocted from pure imagination.

I had done my job of protective brother once again. Just as I had always done and just as I would always continue to do. For when it came to my twin, I would never hesitate to be fearless for her.