How About For Tonight, We Make It All About Your Pleasure?

Matt

Please don't puke, I silently pleaded as I juggled Vanessa while fumbling my key into the lock of the front door.

Huffing slightly, I carried her upstairs before placing her gently onto my bed. She stirred when I pulled my arm out from beneath her, but her eyes remained firmly closed. I scanned the room, contemplating where I should sleep. Perhaps, I'll just crash on the couch downstairs. 

I moved towards the door but paused. What if she wakes up and needs to hurl? I began gagging just at the thought. If I have to vomit off my mattress, I'll be in trouble. I better stay close by.

My gaze flicked over to the only chair in the room; the wooden one at my desk that I seldom used. Not because it was uncomfortable but because I rarely ever completed my homework. Forget it. I'm better off on the floor. I spread the top sheet from my linen set out on the carpet and tossed a spare pillow on the ground to go along with it. I admired my make-shift bed. Ah. This will be a fine spot to curl up into a sad little ball for the night.

My sights slid over to the plush mattress that was now occupied and I gave it a longing stare. Again, not because of the attractive female sprawled out upon it and leaving behind her delicious scent of vanilla on my linens but because I just wanted my damn bed. Until tomorrow evening, old friend. Then lying down on the hard floor, I grimaced as I tried to make myself comfortable. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow to a stiff neck and kinks in my back. So exciting! I kicked off my boots, frowning over the fact that I couldn't even strip down to my boxers and sleep the way I preferred. It's only for one night. Don't be such a baby, Matt.

Baby. Exactly what Troy and Scott claim me to be. I'm not a wuss! I'm not.

Sighing, I covered my face with the pillow and let out a muffled grunt. Life's fucking unfair. I finally meet someone that seems to have a genuine interest me and her brother has to go ahead and forbid it. If I didn't respect the dude, I would have ignored his commands, no problem. But fate had a way of being cruel, didn't it?

Stuffing the pillow into a ball, I tucked it beneath my head and willed myself to fall asleep but all that seemed to play through the dark was a movie reel of the lowlights of my life. 

My mother ushering me into the car on a stormy night when the wind howled, and the branches scraped the windowpanes. Her gesturing wildly as she scolded at me for neglecting to tell her there was a bake sale tomorrow. Then suddenly, a blare of a horn, flashing lights, and the crunch of metal. Blackness.

Waking up in an unfamiliar room with a beeping that was as annoying and persistent as a mosquito buzzing in my ear and a tube shoved up my nose that made my nostrils feel prickly. My Dad sitting by my bedside, head in his hands. A forced smile upon realizing I was awake but a dark look in his eye that indicated something was deeply wrong.

The funeral. The tears. Troy and Scott mocking me for it. And now, present day when I yet again couldn't have what I ached for. Love.

So lost in my train of misery was I, that I almost missed the sound of Vanessa's soft voice piercing through the shadows of the night. "Matt," she called. Sure, now she's awake after all that effort of carrying her inside.

I reached up onto the mattress to give her hand a quick squeeze. "Shh...get some rest."

"Come here," she burst out, urgently bolting up.

Thinking she was going to puke, I sprang to my feet to grab my trash bucket but before I could take a single step, she took hold of my fingers and yanked it hard. I stumbled forward a little bit but managed to catch my balance. "What is it," I asked, alarm in my voice. Please don't blow chunks on my bed, I silently begged. My stomach churned and I gagged again.