Karma's A Bitch And A Dominatrix

***WARNING*** THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MENTION OF SELF-HARM. THE PARAGRAPHS PERTAINING TO THIS TOPIC WILL BE WRITTEN IN BOLD TO ALLOW FOR AN EASY SKIP.

Matt

"I'm not sure how much more of this crap of yours I can handle. I'm sick of it."

Pushing around glazed carrots on my plate, I nodded at the vegetable. "I'm sorry."

My dad's face went blank as he stared at me, and his expressionless features were almost scarier than the crimson red ones that were twisted in rage when the school had phoned him about the frog incident. "You're sorry?!" He repeated in exasperation. "Then why do you keeping doing these things, Matthew? Are you trying to make my life as difficult as possible?"

I hung my head. "No," I answered quietly.

Nudging back his glass of milk, he waved me off. "Go finish your homework."

My sights shot up at him in surprise. "That's it? You're not going to lecture me on how violence is never the answer or enact any sort of punishment?"

My father scoffed, wiping his face with a crisp linen napkin. "Is there even any point? Nothing I do or say ever seems to make a difference in your behaviors, so I'm done trying to steer you onto the right path." Dragging his hands down his face, he sighed before glancing at me. His features appeared exhausted, and he had deep lines etched around his mouth. "Perhaps, I just need to let you fail so that you'll realize that your actions have real consequences."

I paused from taking a bite of porkchop, hovering my fork over my plate. "You're just going to give up on me?" I asked in disbelief.

He stood up from the table, gathering his utensils and empty dishes. "I've got no reason to believe that you'll ever change or that you even want to."

"Oh." I stared down at my mostly full dinner plate. I knew my father's announcement shouldn't come as a shock. Everyone else in my life had decided to abandon me at one point or another. Teachers, peers...Vanessa. Wasn't it about time that he did too?

I lifted my gaze towards my father, deserting my meal. "May I be excused?"

He turned his back on me, heading towards the kitchen. "Like I said, do what you want, Matthew. You're only going to do what you please anyways."

Standing up, I met him at the door and clutched onto his dinnerware. "I'll take that," I said, wrestling the dish from his grasp. "I'll wash the dishes tonight."

My father tugged back on the piece. "I've got it," he bit out. "I don't need your help."

"No really, Dad. I want to." I pulled harder, causing him to yank with even more force. As I let go, the plate flew from his hands and fell onto the hardwood floor with a shatter.

"Aargh!" My father pinched the bridge of his nose, inhaling slow and calculated breaths. "Matthew, just go upstairs. You're being more of a hinderance than a help."

I scrunched up my features, swallowing the lump that immediately formed in the base of my throat. "I'm sorry for being such a bother to you, Dad!" I shouted, my voice hoarse. "My apologies that Mom was the one who was killed in that accident, and I was the one to survive. Maybe, I should just end it now so that way you don't have to spend every waking second wishing that you had a son that wasn't such a failure and disappointment to you!"

"Matthew!" My dad called after me as I fled the kitchen. "That's not what I said. Get back here!"

I thundered up the stairs, slamming my bedroom door closed before locking it and turning on the radio at full blast. "You don't want me," I yelled at the door. "Fine! I'll make myself disappear then." Grabbing a pillow, I pressed my face into the malleable fabric and let out a muffled scream. "You're such a fuck-up, Matt! Everybody hates you."