Go Check On Your Boyfriend To Make Sure I Didn't Injure Him Too Badly

Matt

Christopher Fucking Hitchcock.

The name left a bitter taste on my tongue as I silently mouthed it to myself. Glopping another hunk of wet clay onto the alleged bowl I was crafting in pottery class, I glowered at him from across the room. Where's a genie when you need one so that I can wish this guy out of existence?

He shook his chocolate brown hair out of his eyes before standing up in front of the table that housed his own art project- excuse me, masterpiece. He had spent the last hour laboring over a ceramic vase with intricate patterns that made my piece look as though a toddler had constructed it. What a show-off. Brushing his palms off on the thighs of his light wash denim jeans that matched the polo shirt he wore; he gave a nod of satisfaction at his work.

I didn't get the appeal. Ooh, I'm Chris and I can play basketball and make an object that will just sit on a shelf somewhere collecting dust. Pfft. So what? It doesn't make him any more special and unique than the rest of us.

My sights followed him as he strode his way across the room, stopping only a couple of feet short from where I was seated next to the supply cart.  Leaning in, he tapped me on the shoulder. "Hey, Matt, could you pass me a paintbrush?"

Without taking my sights off him, I felt around on the cart until I had a brush in my grasp. "Here you go," I replied, chucking it at him with more force than necessary. I tried to stifle a laugh as he watched the tool bounce off his chest and onto the tile floor.

"Chill, bro," he said, giving me a scowl. "This isn't dodge ball."

"Sorry. Let me get you another." I whipped a second brush at him, watching in delight as it followed the pattern of what occurred with the first.

Sneering, Chris bent over to scoop one of the instruments off the floor. "Fucking psychopath," he muttered beneath his breath, walking away.

I beamed to myself while I continued to work on my supposed bowl, even though it was quite a pathetic sight to behold. It was lopsided with one side nearly caving in and a mound of sad, neglected clay. Can't I be talented at something?  Or am I just doomed to fail at anything I try at?

I couldn't even land myself a girlfriend. Vanessa had been starting to seem a promising option, but Jake and Chris had made damn sure that I wouldn't succeed there either. Slathering another layer of clay onto my project, I imagined what it would be like to outshine my peers for once.

"Ladies and gentlemen," an announcer, dressed in a tux with a microphone in hand, bellowed out in his best show voice as multi-hued lights flashed all around him on stage. "Meet the guys that have been put on this Earth to make Matt's life a living hell. You all know Troy and Scott by now but let's introduce you to our newest addition, Chris. Chris has seemingly brown eyes, he's maybe just under six feet tall, and his shaggy chestnut hair looks as though he just waltzed off the beach."

The announcer looked on in unbridled admiration when Chris appeared in a pressed designer suit. He jaunted down the catwalk, pausing briefly to do a twirl and showcase his attractive looks. "In his spare time, Chris models Calvin Klein underwear..."

The crowd went positively nuts as they too fawned all over him. Then instantly upheaving everyone's lives like an apocalypse, I made my entrance as though I were Godzilla and set to trample on their dreams. A true villain. Shrieks erupted from the audience when I hopped up onto the stage and socked him in the face, believing that a broken nose would perhaps knock his "hotness" factor down a few pegs.

"What have you done to our gorgeous man?" they would all cry.

Chaos would ensue as Vanessa sobbed over his beautiful face being tarnished and Chris cradled his palm to his gushing nose, red droplets smattering his expensive evening wear. And I would be standing there in my glory with a smug grin. Right before burly security guards in fluorescent yellow shirts whisked me off stage while I shouted profanities.