I Could Spend All Day Between Your Legs

Vanessa

What am I going to do?

Wispy white steam curled up from the surface of the pristine tub. I flinched as I gingerly dipped one toe into the scalding hot water. Then gripping onto the edges of the porcelain, I lowered myself into the bath. Once my body had accumulated to the searing heat on my skin, I pulled my knees up to my chin and wrapped my arms around my legs.

I love Matt. Truly, I do. But I also love my brother. 

Matt might have been my boyfriend, but Jake was my family. The one person who had been there to calm me when I was frightened at night, trembling as I clutched the covers while listening to the passionate arguments of our parents and the slamming of doors. He was the one who taught me how to build my first treehouse and he was the one who tripped Aaron Long on the playground when he called me, "ugly," and made me cry.

There would always be another guy to fall in love with, but a twin brother was irreplaceable. Leaning my head back against the cold tile of the bathroom wall that chilled my spine, a single tear slipped down my cheek. 

Would Jake do the same for me though? Would he place my happiness above all else? 

Staring down at the water, memories of that summer day in the woods when we were seven swirled before me in my reflection.

My muddy sneakers trampled over dried leaves and fallen sticks as I found my brother deep within the forest. He was up on a stepladder, lying a rotted piece of plywood across two branches.

"What are you doing?" I asked, cocking my head to the side as I studied his contraption. 

He shrugged, pausing to reflect upon his handiwork. "Building a treehouse."

I scratched my scalp in confusion. "It looks more like a plank!"

"So, then we will be pirates." He picked up a stick, waving it as though it were a sword before poking me in the ribs. "Aye, matey, I've come to steal your buried treasure."

Giggling, I found a make-believe weapon of my own and battled my brother. I backed up as he managed to get in another jab, not realizing that the stream was right behind me. My shrieks echoed throughout the silent forest upon my back hitting the frigid water with a splash.

Instantly, my clothes were soaked. Hot tears rolled down my cheeks in giant drops as I began to shiver.  Jake was immediately by my side, pulling me from the water.

"I'm drenched!"  I wailed, wrapping my arms around my body to ward off the chill.

"It's okay, Vanessa," he replied, pulling his t-shirt up over his head without hesitation. "I'll switch with you."

I glanced down at my bright pink shorts, biting my lip. "But my shorts are too girly." 

He kicked off his sneakers with a grin. "Maybe, that's my favorite color. And besides, what kind of pirate would I be without an ounce of fashion sense?"

Snickering, we quickly swapped clothing before he brushed his palms off on my damp bottoms. "Alright, now that we've settled that matter, how about I show you how to build a treehouse?"

I smiled to myself, recalling the first year we had begun our summer tradition. How easy a decision could be made about Matt if that had been Jake's only act of kindness towards me. But it wasn't. It was something of a rarity whenever my twin would huff loudly and tell me that I was being a bother.

And the late hours of our fourteenth birthday was of no exception.

A shattering of glass in the middle of the night interrupted me from a sound slumber. Dreams of confetti, presents, and cake disappeared in a puff of smoke inside my brain.