Dozens Of Shirtless And Muscled Men

Jake (Earlier that day)

"I'm not really in the mood for that," Matt replied, pulling himself up into a sitting position.

"I thought it was your favorite thing to do," I answered breathlessly.

"Then I guess you don't know me as well as you thought." He grinned at me as I laid sprawled out on the floor.

I pushed my palms off the blue mat and draped my arms over my knees, having barely completed my set of sit-ups. With his toned physique, Matt had of course creamed me and completed the assigned warm-up well before I did. He had already started on his second round when the gym teacher blew his whistle to instruct us to halt our workouts.

"Alright," I agreed, leaning over to tie my shoelace. "If you aren't up for a comedy film then how about we catch the new horror movie about that ten-foot rabid raccoon? The trailer was so awful that you could almost consider the piece to be a comedy. I'll even pay for your ticket and the popcorn too to make it more enticing for you. We can even invite the girls along. It will be fun."

Sighing, Matt hoisted himself off the ground and plucked a basketball out of the metal bin in the corner to practice shooting hoops. "You don't need to buy my entry." He tossed the ball to me, and I barely managed to get a grip on it before it rolled out of my grasp. "If it means that much to you to watch a trash panda maul innocent bystanders, then I suppose I can sacrifice a night with my books."

"Awesome." I picked up another ball and aimed for the hoop, my gaze following the trajectory of the flying object as it sailed through the air, hit the backboard, and bounced back towards me.

Matt chuckled at the sight, giving me a shrug. "I guess we won't be winning any medals anytime soon." He dribbled a ball in a circle before glancing up at me. "Did you want to invite Ariana as well?" He asked cautiously, presumably because of my outburst the last time he brought her up. "Or someone else," he quickly added.

"No," I answered firmly, taking another shot at the hoop and refusing to look his way.

"Sarah Louise laughs way too obnoxiously at your science puns," he stated softly. "I bet she'd love-"

"I said no," I repeated through clenched teeth.

"Why, though?" Matt pressed.

"She has braces," I rushed out, but I knew that wasn't the reason I wasn't attracted to her. But maybe it will be a satisfactory explanation for him so that he will get off my back.

He nodded but there was no light of understanding in his eyes, and I wasn't sure if he had fully bought my weak excuse. "Alright, so how about-"

"Just stop." Fed up with my friend's pushiness, I tossed my basketball aside and gathered my water bottle and face towel from the bleachers before heading off towards the locker room.

I dropped my head in my hands as I took a seat on the wooden bench in the middle of the room. If it's not Sarah's braces that turns you off, then what is it then? I couldn't even attempt to fabricate an acceptable answer for my lack of attraction before the sound of a group of male voices flooded the room.

The deep timbre of their laughs echoed as they joked and pushed one another in jest. Bryan, the tall muscular blonde that was a part of the swim team, stopped in front of a locker just to my left. He glanced over at his friend, Aidan while they discussed their weekend plans.

"Andrew is having a party up at the spot," Bryan began, peeling off his sweat-soaked t-shirt. I watched as the fabric inched higher up his skin, slowly unveiling the muscles that rippled in his back while he moved. "But Simon is having a scary movie marathon."