Make Love To Me

Matt

"I'm sorry to do this to you, but I can't make it tonight."

Disappointment swelled inside my chest as I parked my Jetta outside of the movie theater. And so, it begins. The rejection. "No biggie," I replied, my gaze following a teenage couple swinging their arms while walking hand in hand. "I understand." Yada, yada, yada.

It shouldn't have mattered that Jake was blowing me off to study for an exam he would have still been likely to ace without putting in the extra hours of poring over a textbook by the single yellow glow of his desk lamp. Addison and Vanessa were still around to watch the comedy film with me. But it somehow felt as though I were just an afterthought to him. Something to do when he wasn't busy.

Or maybe, you just don't get it because you aren't into school the same way he is. And you never will be, so this friendship is doomed for failure no matter what. I smacked the steering wheel with my palm. Stop it, Matt. You're spiraling again.

Sighing, I exited the vehicle, pulling my hoodie down over my face to protect my cheeks from the bitter chill of the October wind. As I pulled open the door to the theater, Vanessa rushed over and greeted me. "Jake's cancelled," she immediately blurted out. "He needs to-"

"Study for a test. I know," I finished for her. "Where's Addison?" The absence of shimmering sparkles that shined like the sun was readily apparent the moment I stepped inside the room.

She shifted from foot to foot, her gaze flitting around the theater at movie-goers animatedly discussing the endings to the flicks they had just seen and glossy-eyed attendants tearing ticket stubs. The smell of buttery popcorn permeated the air and my stomach grumbled. Vanessa cleared her throat. "About that...Tommy Stevens asked her on a date so..." She shrugged.

"Ah, I see," I replied, rubbing my hands briskly together to ward off the chill of the air conditioning.

She brought a bitten nail to her mouth, gnawing at what was left of the tip. "We could still watch the movie if you want."

"No," I answered briskly. She took a step back as though I had just slapped her. "Sorry," I quickly apologized. "I didn't mean it that way. I wasn't really up for watching a film to begin with. We could do something else though," I offered.

The light instantly returned to her eyes, washing her irises in a rich velvety cocoa. "I would enjoy that. How about a walk on the beach? I know it's a bit gusty out there but it's the best time to hit the shore because nobody else is around and it's just so-"

"Peaceful?" I supplied with a grin, walking towards the exit with her right behind me.

"Yea, exactly," she agreed, a smile warming up her tone.

As we approached my car, she slid in and immediately rolled down the window. Then resting her arms on the ledge, she dreamily propped her chin atop them as the breeze played a game of catch with her ponytail. "I just love Autumn," she said wistfully, gazing at the fiery hues of leaves that whizzed past us. "The air smells so crisp with just a hint of bonfire smoke."

Pulling her head back in, she gave me a wide beam. Her joy over the season was akin to a wide-eyed innocence of a child and the corners of my mouth lifted. "What?" she asked, furrowing her brows.

I shrugged a shoulder. "Nothing. You're zest for dreary skies and muddy puddles is cute, is all."

She clutched her hand to her chest, offense spilling across her features. "You don't like fall!?" Her voice dripped with disgust as though I had just insulted her family. "But what about pumpkin spice and oversized chunky sweaters?"