Aimee's BJ

Matt

Jake was pacing beneath the glow of a streetlamp, moths fluttering around in the single beam when I pulled my car up in front of the curb. "Hey, man," I greeted, nudging open the passenger side door. "Is everything alright? You had me worried-"

He scrambled into the vehicle and tossed his arms around my neck, bringing me in for a tight hug. "No! I hate my parents. They are trying to ruin my life."

Taken aback by his sudden burst of affection, I sat there unmoving and left my arms hanging at my sides. "I'm sorry," was all that I could muster. At least you have two parents.

As if reading my mind, he abruptly shifted away and scrunched up his face. "Ugh. I'm such a jerk. I shouldn't be complaining about them when you-"

"It's fine," I replied dryly. "Just tell me what happened."

"My parents don't want you coming around anymore." He dropped his gaze towards his feet, a somber expression on his face.

"Oh." A dozen scenarios ran through my head on why this could be the case. "Matt's a bad influence. He doesn't do his homework." "Matt was raised in a broken home. It's not healthy for you to be spending time with someone that doesn't have a normal family." "Matt's disliked by all the other kids his age. We don't want you getting picked on because you two are close."

Or maybe...

Jake is lying and the whole "my parents don't want us hanging out" line is just a cover-up for the fact that he secretly doesn't want to be my friend anymore.

Before I could press for more information on how I had managed to screw it all up, he twisted his fingers in his lap and turned away to stare out the window. "It's Vanessa..."

My heart rate instantly increased at the mention of her name, and I sat up straight. "Is she okay? Did something happen to her?"

He waved me off. "She's fine. Well, physically at least. Mentally..." He pointed his finger at his head and swirled it in a circle. "She's gone off the deep end."

"What do you mean?" I inquired, arching a brow.

Jake looked me straight in the eye. "My parents think she's becoming unhealthily obsessed with you."

The wind knocked clear out of my lungs at his admission, those words the last thing I expected to fall from his lips. "I...uh...what?"

He shrugged, fingering the condensation that had begun to fog up the windowpane. "I guess they found a box of photos she took of you in secret, and they freaked. They claimed she was displaying creepy behaviors and developing stalkerish tendencies. She got so rageful when they forbade you from the house that she smashed the customized champagne flutes they received as a wedding gift on the kitchen tile. She insisted that their marriage was a farce as they obviously couldn't appreciate true love when they saw it."

My mouth fell open and I struggled to form any words of response on my lips. "What?" I repeated. We only fooled around once though. Twice if we counted the balloon fight kiss. How could she have grown that attached already? Hadn't I specified that I was only interested in sex?

This can't be true.

"Did..did you see the photos too?" I asked in a shaky voice.

Jake nodded. "They're really bizarre, Matt," he answered, lowering his voice. "I'm not even sure how she took some of them. Remember that time you slept over?"

I held up my hand. "Okay, I think I've heard enough." She's never presented as being obsessed with me but how can I argue that when my best friend is telling me that he, himself witnessed it? And she does have that Polaroid camera...