Let's Get One Thing Straight, My Sister Is Off-Limits

***After giving it some thought, I've decided to put myself on a publishing schedule. I will be posting new chapters two times a week. Every Tuesday and Saturday. Should this change, I will let you all know***

By the way, thank you so much for all the love you've given me on this book.

Matt

I stared absentmindedly into the flickering flames of the bonfire after leaving Jake to attend to his intoxicated sister. I hadn't meant to snap at her, but I had let my embarrassment get the better of me.

"I can tutor you."  Her words echoed in my mind as I tossed an empty soda bottle into the fire, the heat instantly enveloping it into a melted pile of plastic. 

Sure. Let me just go right ahead and mortify myself as she watches me struggle through Geometry. I did have some pride left in me and wasn't exactly eager to volunteer myself for anymore bullying and taunts. Especially from her.

Sighing, I glanced down at the time on my cell phone, wishing that my friends would just hurry up and finish their socializing so that I could go home. The thought of curling up into bed with a gripping novel was rather enticing but it appeared that fate had other plans that involved me falling into mattress with something else instead. Or rather, someone else.

"You know, for someone that's so anti-social, you're rather hard to get alone." I looked over as a short girl wearing a plaid skirt and black turtleneck dropped down on the log beside me. Her fiery red hair caught the light of the lapping flames, making the hue even more vibrant.

I vaguely recalled her from an English class we shared together Freshman year, but her name seemed to escape me. Which was a pity because she was very cute and the smattering of freckles across her nose gave her a fresh-faced appearance that accentuated her beauty without the need for make-up. 

Shrugging, I let my gaze wander back towards the swirl of orange and red. "That's probably because I make every effort to avoid people. Ashley, right?"

She shook her head, the loose waves that framed her face bouncing softly. "Aimee, actually. I'll give you a point for getting the 'A' though." She giggled, the sound a musical lilt. 

Grinning, I glanced over at her. "Well, then do I get extra credit for remembering that you were in my Freshman English class?"

Her eyebrows shot up and her glossy lips curled into a coy smile. "So, you do know who I am? That's promising."

I shifted so that my full attention was on her now. Is she flirting with me? So, things went a little south with Vanessa but perhaps there's still a chance to turn this night around after all. "Don't flatter yourself too much," I teased. "School isn't exactly my favorite so I have a lot of time to let my gaze wander around the classroom in boredom."

Her face instantly dropped, and I wanted to kick myself for ruining another interaction with a female. What's the matter with you, Matt? Why do you always have to be so awkward? Quickly scrambling to save a sinking ship, I blurted out," Of course, I noticed you. A natural redhead isn't something a guy easily forgets."

A rosy pink flush spread across her cheeks as she beamed at me. "I'm so glad you can tell. You wouldn't believe how many times I get asked if the rug matches the drapes."

I was trying to refrain from hinting that I would be delighted to confirm that when I felt a nudge against my shoulder as Addison wedged her way in between us. Squeezing into the small gap that separated our bodies, she gave me a look. "Sorry to interrupt your attempt at flirting with Ginger Spice, here but I need to talk to you."

I narrowed my eyes at her, wishing for once that she would just scram. Of course, the moment I don't want her around, is the very second she chooses to present herself as though there's been some malfunction in the universe, and I've wound up with some reverse manifestation bullshit.