For Tonight, Matt Was At My Mercy

Question of the day: Do you think that Matt was too harsh on Aimee in the previous chapter?

Vanessa

"Addie, are you sure this is a good idea?" I readjusted the bodice of the black, suede mini dress that I had borrowed from my friend, eyeing myself in the full-length mirror.

She emerged from her walk-in closet, looking stylish in red kitten heels and a white body con number that had a high slit in the thigh. What I would give to possess her long legs. "Iff find," she replied, sweeping her licorice waves into a high ponytail, a hair tie clutched between her teeth.

"In English?"

Taking a seat at her worn-in spot in front of the mirror, she leaned forward to pat silver glitter onto her eyelids. "It's fine," she repeated. "What makes you think it would be a bad idea?"

Giggling, I tugged on a pair of knee-high boots over dark nylon stockings. "Oh, I don't know. Haven't you watched any teen movie, like ever? Every time someone has a party, it gets out of control, something valuable usually breaks, there's a mess left behind and the parents always come home early. "

She swiped a tube of blood-red lipstick over her full pout. "Then it's lucky that I'm my daddy's little princess. He won't be able to stay angry at me for more than a second once I shed a tear." 

Shaking my head, I smoothed out the wrinkles in my dress. "How do I look?"

Addison swiveled around in her chair, her green eyes bulging out of her head when she saw me. "Yowza! You look hot! Matt won't be able to pry his gaze away from you."

"If he even shows up," I muttered beneath my breath, clipping on a pair of silver hoop earrings. He had been distant with me ever since my brother's oh so sweet intervention. I could kill Jake.

"He will," she stated matter-of-factly, opening a drawer and producing a nip. She chugged it down in one gulp, shuddering as she made a face of disgust. "I've been told that I can be quite persuasive."

And sure enough, she made good on her word.

A half an hour later the doorbell rang in succession as guests began to trickle in. After another hour, when Matt finally arrived, the house was crammed to the point where I couldn't even stand there without getting bumped or stepped on. "Wow," he said, balancing the stack of pizzas in his arms and scanning the room. "This place is as busy as Grand Central Station. Somebody's definitely getting grounded."

He grinned as Addison rolled her eyes. "You can drop the food off in the kitchen," she directed.

"You owe me a hundred bucks for them by the way," he called over his shoulder, elbowing a path through the sea of bodies.

He hadn't made it more than a few feet before a tipsy brunette with tight coils laughed obnoxiously, sloshing her mixed drink over her red cup. She took a step backwards, knocking into him and causing him to lose his grip on the pizza. The boxes jolted forward, and I raced over to steady them.

"Thanks," he said, giving me a grateful smile. He stilled as our eyes locked. Then slowly, his gaze slid down the entire length of my body and back up again, causing my insides to explode with warmth. He let out a soft chuckle, aware that he had been caught checking me out. "You look...different."

I grabbed a couple of boxes from his hand and surprised even myself by winking at him. "I was going for hot, but I assume that's what you meant." His mouth parted slightly as I turned on my heel and sashayed off into the kitchen, confident that his stare was lingering on me.

He followed me to where Addison was frantically sweeping up several broken plates off the marble flooring. She gestured at the mess. "I think people are starting to get hangry. You two just missed a fight between Kevin Moore and Jason Lockwood."