Ooh, Baby, Talk Dirty To Me

Jake

"No, Reaper, stop! What are you doing?"

I scowled from across the kitchen table as Addison glanced over Matt's shoulder at his French homework. She was scooted far enough in that if she really desired to, she could inhale the Cedarwood aroma wafting from his neck and the springtime fresh detergent that fragranced his clothing.

Furrowing her brows, she pointed with a fluorescent pink nail at the matching game that he was completing. "You're getting the vocabulary all wrong," she stated. She moved her chair in even closer. "Why don't you let me help you?"

I rolled my eyes at his grateful smile, clutching my pencil so hard in my fist that I nearly snapped the wood in half. He's not even her type. Why can't she back off and go flirt with someone with a jock strap or something?

They bowed their heads, huddling together to work on his assignment, their tones hushed. Clearing my throat, I reached for my cup of water in front of me. As my fingers made contact with the glass, I bumped it a bit too hard, sending the container tipping and liquid spilling all over Matt's paper. He sprang up from his seat as droplets rained down onto his lap, seeping into the fabric of his jeans.

"I'm sorry!" I quickly muttered, bolting from my chair to grab a wad of paper towels. 

I pressed them to the crotch of his pants and began dabbing but he hastily grabbed the bunch from my hands. "I got it," he stated firmly. 

"I'll get you another pair to change into," I offered, suddenly feeling as though my best friend hated me. My urge to swiftly make amends desperate, I carefully patted at his homework before setting off to secure him a change of clothing.

"Clumsy, idiot," Vanessa mumbled beneath her breath as she continued typing her English essay on her laptop.

With a glare, I headed in the direction of Matt's bedroom upstairs, pausing at the banister. "Oh, that reminds me," I added with a snap. "While I'm up there, are you finished with that book I lent you about the dragons and the village fool?"

Matt nodded. "It's in the top drawer of the nightstand beside my bed."

"Cool." With one foot on the bottom step, I stopped to blow him a kiss, a grin on my face. "I'm not sure if I'll make it out of your bedroom alive. It's all but condemned in there. I love you, buddy."

He stared at me; his expression blank before he shifted his gaze. "Um...yea, same to you."

My heart sank at his abrupt coldness towards me, and I wasn't sure what I had done wrong. I had noticed a subtle shift in his behavior since the camping trip and I wasn't sure what could be the cause for his sudden distance when he was around me.

Is he scared of his feelings too?

I hadn't dared entertain the notion that Matt would want to be my boyfriend, but the signs were beginning to indicate that I wasn't the only one picking up on our connection. He had pleasantly surprised me up at the spot when he had grasped my thigh and called me, "babe" which had led me to wonder if our friendship could blossom into something more. Dare I hope that he had been flirting with me?

His seeming return of my affections had emboldened me to raise the stakes in our interactions and I had decided to make a subtle move on the senior outing to plant the groundwork for how I felt about him.

We had been lying awake in the tent, him scrolling on his phone and myself staring up at the nylon roof, trying to visualize the twinkling stars that danced on the other side. "Do you want to start a fire or something?" I asked, rolling over.