I Love You

Question of the day: Would you like to experience more of Addison's POV? (More than just that one chapter she was featured in)

Vanessa

I had lied.

The truth was, I was upset, I was hurt, and I was furious. But not at Matt but rather, with my own best friend.

We were in our tent, primping for an after-party down at the shore of the lake. I was using Addison's mirror to apply a sparkly sheen of lip gloss in the shade, Cavernous Geode, when she giggled. "What's so hilarious?" I asked, lowering the reflector so that I could see what the joke was.

She held out her phone, allowing me a peek at her screen. A picture of a collapsed tent lying on the dirt in a pile of nylon greeted me. "Matt sent me that," she stated. "He says that he will have to strike park ranger from his list of possible career occupations."

The hackles on the back of my neck instantly rose as I scowled at her. "Why are you texting my boyfriend?"

She gave me a puzzled look. "First off, he messaged me and it's because we're friends."

I grabbed my cell to see if Matt had sent me the same photo but when all I saw was a notification email from some company trying to reach me about my car's extended warranty, my vision clouded with red. "Right, sure," I spat out through gritted teeth. Nodding, I slammed down the mirror with such force that a crack instantly split the glass.

"V!" Addison cried, picking up the diamond bedazzled frame and cradling it. "This is from Tiffany's!"

"I don't care if it's from Kelly's or from Anna's!" I shouted. "If it's that precious to you then perhaps, you shouldn't have brought it along on a camping trip!" All the blood began to rush to my ears in a swirling roar and I knew there was no stopping the torrent of words that were about to pour from my mouth. "You say you care about something, Addie but then you treat it like trash and completely disregard it's feelings."

"It's a mirror, V," She piped up. "An inanimate object. I don't think it possesses emotions." She knocked on what was left of the sharded piece. "Hello? Anybody in there?" She glanced up at me and shrugged. "See? Nothing."

"You have no right to flirt with my boyfriend!" I blurted out, pounding my thighs with my fists.

Her eyes grew wide at my outburst, and she stared at me with her mouth agape. Then clearing her throat, she began smoothing out the creases in her sleeping bag. "Vanessa, do you know why I'm so popular?"

Is she seriously doing this right now? Is she really adding insult to injury by bragging about her wide circle of friends? I swear I will stab her with a piece of broken glass and dump her body in the lake. My fingers twitched around a shard as I clutched onto it.

But alas, she was my friend, and I would likely be first suspect in her murder case. Letting go of my weapon, I sighed. "I don't know, Addie. Might it have anything to do with the fact that you're gorgeous?"

She swatted my knee. "No. I mean, I'm sure that helps but the real reason why is because I'm not stingy with who I choose to socialize with. We both know that our classmates haven't exactly been the kindest to Matt. If I have the power to make him feel included and believe that he matters to someone who could have her pick of friends, then why wouldn't I want to do that?"

Oh. Suddenly feeling silly that she wasn't secretly penning love notes about my boyfriend in her diary, I glanced down at my lap and toyed with the lip gloss container. "But is it really necessary to smack his ass to make him think he's special?"