You're Sexy When You're Distressed

Vanessa

"And where do you think you're going?"

I glanced up from eating a soggy chicken nugget as Kayla bum rushed Matt at the door to the gymnasium. "They're about to crown Ice Princess," she announced, planting her hands on the hips of her designer dress.

He gently grasped her arm, steering her out of his way. "The deal's off, Kayla. Besides, I already fulfilled my bargain by showing up here with you," he muttered. "Not that anyone would have ever believed you were my date anyway as you spent all your time away from me and out on the dance floor."

My eyebrows shot up at his admission. Deal? They have a bargain?  I tipped back in my chair, straining to hear their conversation as they lowered their voices. But as all my weight suddenly shifted in one direction, the metal seat teetered towards the floor. Flailing my arms, I desperately tried to catch my balance, but it was of no use. The frame hit the ground with a clang, sending me tumbling backwards.

My ears burned when Kayla and Matt paused their chatting to stare at me. She scrunched her face at my clumsiness. "Ew!" She exclaimed. "What the fuck? Who does that?"

Yea, like I did it on purpose because I just love embarrassing myself in front of all my classmates. Bitch. 

From his place above me, Chris gawked at me with his mouth agape. "You fall a lot," he stated, deadpan.

"Shut up, Chris!" I yelled. "Before I use you as my personal basketball and stuff you into a hoop." Smoothing out my navy, knee-length dress and praying that no one had caught a glimpse of my oversized, white cotton underwear I was wearing because it was laundry day, I accepted Jake's hand as he rushed over to help me up.

"Are you alright?" He asked, concerned etched onto his features.

I nodded as the DJ picked up a microphone after the 'Lex B song that vibrated throughout the room concluded. "How are you folks at Avery High School doing on this fine evening?" He bellowed into the instrument. Ear-piercing cheers erupted throughout the room in response to his question. "I heard we have some royalty amongst us tonight!"

The roar of the crowd grew even louder, and Kayla gasped, clutching her chest. "Oh my gosh! This is it!" She exclaimed. "Everything I've been dreaming of since Kindergarten is about to come true!"

I rolled my eyes. Give me a break. It's a high school popularity contest, not the Olympic Gold Medal.

"Are you all ready to meet your Ice Princess?" He let out a whoop that blended in with whistles and thunderous applause. "Let's get frostyyy!" From the speakers, the sound of swirling wind blared as white confetti which was meant to resemble snow, fluttered down from the rafters.

The DJ picked up the envelope he had laid out before him, slowly opening it and giving a dramatic pause. The cheers from the audience had reached a deafening level and it felt as though I were in a zoo enclosure with a bunch of orangutans beating on their chest.

"The crown for Ice Princess of Avery High School goes to...Addison Miller!"

Shouts of approval exploded from my classmates, a ring echoing in my ears. From across the gymnasium, Addison shrieked, barreling towards me for a hug and clutching onto me tightly. As I embraced my friend, I spied Kayla over her shoulder, ripping her corsage off her wrist and chucking the wilted flower onto the ground. She stomped the petals into the hardwood flooring with the heel of her strappy stiletto, smearing the life-force out of the innocent plant.

"Mother fuc-" she started to yell before Matt cut her off.

"Woo!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands and then pointing towards the exit. "Now that's over, I'm taking off."