Chapter 39 - To His Way Home

In the prison of time, only the teenager remained as the sole living being.

The slender ghost shadow followed beside the teenager, feeling that Jian Shu had also turned into a complete lunatic.

He knew that the human before him was timid, even cowardly. When he was lured into the inner courtyard and became the flesh offering for the evil ghosts, he would cower in his blanket, scared by the slightest sound of the wind. Now, however, he believed the words of a ghost.

"Do you really trust me that much?" the slender ghost shadow asked.

Jian Shu, lighting a match from a nearby box, ignited a stick of incense. In the imprisoned time, only the things he touched could experience the flow of time. As the match lit up, the burning flame froze in mid-air the moment it was discarded.

"It's not that I trust you," Jian Shu inserted the incense into the censer in front of the gloomy wooden tablet, then released it, "I trust Pei Ce."

After some thoughtful consideration following his impulsive decision, he wondered if this sudden appearance of a ghost had some ulterior motives. Like in the ghost stories, where wandering spirits tried to deceive souls out of their bodies and then possess them.

However, he possessed the power gifted by Pei Ce.

The divine power would protect his body; even if the slender ghost shadow harbored ill intentions, the divine power would not allow harm to befall him.

Once the incense left Jian Shu's touch, everything in Yucheng froze. Even the lingering smoke froze in mid-air.

"How much time do I have?" Jian Shu asked.

"I'm not sure," the slender ghost shadow replied, "I can only say that if time starts flowing in Yucheng, at most the duration of one incense stick, the remaining souls will also dissipate."

So, he had Jian Shu light one incense stick.

"Alright." Jian Shu had prepared everything and didn't want to waste any time. He closed his eyes and activated the power that Pei Ce had left within him. A pure white butterfly gracefully emerged and circled around his fingertips.

With a slight movement of his fingers, the butterfly seemed to understand his intention.

To approach death, he needed to seal his heartbeat.

The white butterfly, seemingly still carrying the will of the divine, resisted being confined in his palm. Sensing Jian Shu's intention for such a drastic act, it struggled, unwilling to stay still in his grasp.

"This is something I must do, Pei Ce," Jian Shu comforted the butterfly softly, confining it in his palm and pressing it against his chest.

In almost a single breath, Jian Shu's body lost its vitality like a puppet with its strings cut, collapsing in front of the altar.

Everything went black for Jian Shu.

When he opened his eyes again, he saw his lifeless body lying on the ground.

It was an eerie and wondrous sensation, experiencing one's own existence from this perspective. Perhaps only when he truly died would he fully understand this feeling.

Looking down, his translucent figure resembled a ghostly shadow. When touching objects, he would pass through them.

Except for the gloomy wooden tablet placed on the altar, riddled with cracks.

In his ghostly state, Jian Shu finally understood the words of the slender ghost shadow. He felt something pulling him towards it and involuntarily reached out to touch that piece of the tablet.