Chapter 14 - The Heart to Care About

It was stormy tonight in Yucheng.

Terrifying white light tore through the dark night sky, as if splitting open a crack, and torrential rain poured down.

It was already late at night, and Uncle Chu still hadn't rested. He sat on a chair, a cup of tea that had long since cooled in his hand.

He listened to the hissing and begging sounds coming from the direction of the ancient mansion. His face was very calm, as if he was not surprised by what was going to happen tonight.

Ah Qi stood guard at Uncle Chu's side, listening to the mournful ringing sounds, and couldn't help the look of fear appearing on his lowered face.

"Have someone lock the door?" Uncle Chu asked, his voice calm.

"Yes." Ah Qi tried to make his voice not sound trembling, "As you ordered, after ...... no one escaped, the door was locked."

"Good." Uncle Chu didn't even care about who all came out alive, but instead, very leisurely, added some hot water to the cup of cooled tea, and gently took a sip.

Ah Qi's heart got even colder.

Ah Wu was assigned to go to the ancient mansion to bring back the Jian Lin. He was aware of it early in the morning. He thought that Uncle Chu had come up with some kind of countermeasure before he instructed Ah Wu to bring people in. Unexpectedly, they were just a bunch of cannon fodder to test whether the gods were sleeping.

If they succeeded in bringing out Jian Lin, it would be best.

On the contrary, if it failed, it would be nothing more than sacrificing a few people.

Such a perception made Ah Qi start to fear inside.

He and Ah Qing had been chosen by Uncle Chu to follow him around at a very young age, and Uncle Chu favored Ah Qing a bit more. If it really came to a day when Uncle Chu needed to sacrifice the people around him to do something again, would he, then, also become the next sacrifice?

Uncle Chu naturally wouldn't care what the people around him were thinking.

He listened to the sound of the wind and rain that gradually calmed down and asked in a calm voice, "I remember that someone saw the twelfth son on the day he fled."

Ah Qi hurriedly collected the little bit of mind inside him and replied, "Yes. Auntie Ji, who lives with Auntie Li, said that she pushed the door in after hearing Auntie Li's episode and saw an unfamiliar-looking young man, the very same Jian Lin who escaped that day."

Uncle Chu's eyes finally shifted a little.

He slowly asked, "Do you know what Aunt Li and Jian Lin talked about?"

Ah Qi was a little less certain, "Probably ...... it was about her daughter."

Naturally, there was no mention of the phrase "she was killed by Uncle Chu" that he had heard through the grapevine.

Uncle Chu's only remaining hand rested on the table, his pale fingers regularly tapping on the tabletop. After a long time, he said to Ah Qi, "There is one thing you should do tomorrow. Pay attention and make sure she hears it herself."

——

The storm subsided in the ancient mansion.

The three ghosts quietly burrowed out of the nooks and crannies as the roaming butterflies completely dissipated and everything quieted down.

Silently staring at the young man in front of the shrine.

The interior was in a mess, all the coziness of the past was gone. The youth who was crouching on the floor did not move for a long time, and there was silence all around.